Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Hands-On Double Digit Addition: Good Times!

Hi Friends!
    We began our state standardized testing today, and that means my little first graders were all out of sorts.  I am so thankful that we don't have to test in the lower grades, but splitting classes, schedule changes, and all that other craziness has us trying to keep busy and engaged!

     I have been teaching double digit addition & subtraction for 15 years, and it's always so boring...to me AND the kids.  Today, I tried something a little different, and I'm so glad I did!
The kids have been working on double digit addition for a few days, and I wanted to do something that would get them UP and moving while still practicing the skill.

I found some old dominoes on the game shelf & with the line right down the middle to divide the tens and ones, I knew they'd be perfect!
I went through them and found pairs that would not require regrouping.  I put each pair in a snack size baggie, and labeled each one with a letter.  *I always use letters in math to try and keep the confusion at bay*

I ended up with 24 pairs, which was perfect for my class.  I put one set at each desk around the room and even at my kidney table.

We've played SCOOT games before, so we just ran through a few practice runs of which direction to "scoot" and got started.

At each "station", the kids took the two dominoes out of the baggie and created their own double digit addition problem.  They then had to write the problem and solve!

I put the letters in random order so they had to pay attention to their baggie & make sure to record their problem in the correct square..

They did such a great job lining up the tens and ones and creating their problems!  I started the game off with about 2 minutes on the timer, but as they got the hang of it, I went to 1 minute per problem, and it was perfect.

The timer would go off, and the whole class would (whisper) yell, "SCOOT!" and move around the room.  It was so much fun!

It took a total of about 35 minutes to go through all the stations, but I was able to walk around and see who really "got it" and who needed some extra help.  Plus, it kept the kids busy & engaged...keeping me very happy!! :)
Just a quick and easy game to play to practice this {sometimes} boring skill! 

 If you want a grab a copy of the recording sheet & give it a try in your room, click {HERE} to get the freebie. It's nothing fancy, but it works!  Every lesson isn't pretty, but I think that is totally okay!

As always, thanks for stopping by! 
 I hope your week is going well...and you're on the countdown to summer. 23 left for us! 
 How about you? :)




post signature

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to use the game with my students on Monday. I know they will love it. Thank you for the freebie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been able to regard about all those factors as mentioned and explained in form of the posters and hopefully these will prove to be much better. amcas personal statement sample

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)