Thursday, January 7, 2016

Penguin Prefixes & Suffixes

Hi Y'all!
   Happy New Year!!  I hope you all had a wonderful holiday, and the new year is already off to a great start! I've been MIA for a little while with the craziness of the holidays and then I moved over the break, which just added to the mania.  I'm back, though, and excited to start sharing with you again. :)

   We started back to school on Tuesday and we've spent the last few days reviewing material and...if we are keeping it real here... doing some of the things that honestly just didn't get done before the break. 

    In language arts, we have been working with prefixes and suffixes. Our standard is to be able to identify root words, and use inflectional endings appropriately, but I always like to go ahead & introduce prefixes  during this unit.
 The kids helped me make the anchor chart over a couple days after we had really gone over the material in depth.  The inflectional endings we focus on are -s, -ed, and -ing for verbs and -s, -es, and -ies for nouns.  We also look at -ies for one syllable verbs that end in y like "cry", "fly" and "try".
   Here is our flip flap book for suffixes -s, -ed, and -ing.  The kids circle the root word and highlight the suffix. Then, they cut and paste them under the correct flip flap.

Root words and inflectional endings are always a little tricky for my first graders, so I like to keep our weekly activities pretty consistent. It helps with reinforcing the material, and it makes my job of explaining the activity even easier!! 
 So, we did the same kind of books each day to go with our focus.  
The kids really loved them & I noticed how much better they understood the material.  
If you would like a copy of all three flip flap books, click {HERE} for the FREEBIE.

Since we've been studying penguins this week, I had to incorporate them into our little unit, too!
 For our Ticket-Out-The-Door summarizer, I passed out sticky notes with words using all of the suffixes and prefixes we have studied this week.  They had to circle the root word, box the suffix or prefix, and then come up to the board and stick it under the correct penguin.

They did such a great job!

To assess the kiddos, they did like quick little cut & paste activity.  
Circle the root word & paste it under the correct heading. Easy peasy!

 I have updated this document & you can grab this little assessment by clicking the picture below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0oeFcRnEpI9Z091YnhaSURVd0E/view?usp=sharing


So, that's it folks. Just a regular week in the classroom just trying to get back into the swing of things! I hope you can use some of these resources and, as always, thanks for stopping by!! :)

post signature

4 comments:

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)