Sunday, October 25, 2015

Sharing Sunday: Resources for You in November!

Hi Y'all !
Is it possible that October is almost over and we are right smack dab in the middle of fall?  I'm ready for it to start FEELING like fall here in the south, but I absolutely love teaching this time of year!

There are so many units to teach, fun stuff to make, and engaging lessons to teach my little firsties. This is my favorite time of year for so many reasons!

Today, I'm linking up with the Primary Peach and some other amazing bloggers to share some fantastic resources that I personally use in the month of November.

There are blog posts, freebies, products, and other stuff for you to check out, so just keep scrolling!

You can click on any picture of the visual plans to take you to Google Docs PDF File where all the goodies are linked. There are so many amazing resources, so feel free to click around!
Alright, friends, let's get started....
 We love using Mo Willems' pigeon books this time of year. They are great for predicting, lending voice to writing, and they are just fun, fun fun!  In my plans, you will see an anchor chart that I love using with my kiddos and a cute craftivity my first graders always love to make! 

Of course, November wouldn't be the same without a little unit on Thanksgiving.  One of my favorite books is Twas' the Night Before Thanksgiving.  It is absolutely the cutest book, and if you haven't read it, the very end is the best!    First Grade Wow has the cutest craft and writing FREEBIE to go with the book, and I am love with that literacy unit...and my kids are, too!
In writing, we are working hard on narratives. We use the Lucy Calkins framework, and one of the biggest lessons we teach is about focusing on SMALL MOMENTS in writing. I love using this great fall freebie for teaching this skill to my kids.

I don't know about you, but we spend MONTHS working on sentence structure, writing complete sentences, as well as learning about the 4 types.  My kids love doing pretending to be real doctors and doing Sentence Surgery to practice working with naming and telling parts.  

And our love of Mo Willems moves right on into our ELA unit on the sentence types.  Check out the blog post to see an anchor chart and a freebie craftivity for working with Pigeon and all those crazy sentences!
Place value, place value and more place value!!  We dive right into this difficult skill in November, and there's nothing more fun than using pool noodles to practice building numbers.  I also love incorporating literature into math so using The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, we build houses and even make a street!  You'll find a great place value unit and a super engaging freebie for working with your students too!

November is also a time when we ramp up our Fact Fluency practice. These Fluency Tickets for Addition and Subtraction are great for implementing an easy, low prep, program for you & your kids.
In social studies, it's all about the pilgrims and their long voyage on the Mayflower. Check out Scholastic's great interactive website to explore The First Thaksgiving, and this great freebie from Cara at The First Grade Parade to make the most of your unit!

While we are learning about the voyage, we make these little suitcases and fill the with what we think we would carry on our trip to the new world.  It's so funny what they think they will NEED, like video games and an iPad.  This is a great way to start the conversation about needs and wants, too!
Check out these great resources to make your life easier!!  These centers are easy to print and use in your classroom while meeting all the components of Guided Math. I also love using the Would You Rather? prompts to really encourage higher-order thinking while working on our writing.  Asking students to choose between two scenerios really get them thinking!

The Text Evidence Passages are a go-to in my classroom. I use the all year in Guided Reading and they are awesome for increasing metacognition while reading, and using fiction & nonfiction texts.

So, that's my month in a nutshell!!
I hope you have found some great resources to use in your classroom & this has made your planning a little bit easier! :)

Check out these other great bloggers at The Primary Peach and their visual plans for some other great ideas!

post signature


  1. Love this Kelly! I teach K, but I use a lot of 1st grade resources too. Good stuff..Thanks!

  2. My kids LOVE those would you rather prompts! I'm so happy there are some for November! Thank you for sharing!



I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)