Thursday, August 20, 2015

Classroom Reveal: Sweet New Year!

Hi Friends! 
   We started back to school on August 5th, and it has been a whirlwind of rules, procedures, hugs, funnies, and learning ever since. I'm usually a night owl, and I've been to bed before 8:00 several times already!

   I have the absolute SWEETEST group of kiddos this year. They honestly make every day so much better, and are a reminder of exactly why I chose this profession.  I just love, love, love them, and can't wait to share all the great things we do together this year :)

   Anyway, I love looking into everyone's classrooms with their blog posts, and pictures on Instagram, so I thought I'd share this year's room with all of you! But, before I do, I want to say something.

    I have seen a lot of amazing classrooms online, and I have also read comments that are both positive and negative about "cutesy" classrooms.  A cute classroom DOES NOT equal a great teacher. It doesn't make anyone better, or anything like that at all. For me, it's my "home away from home". In reality, I spend more time in this space than I do at my house. I want it to feel good when I'm there, and I want it to feel good for my kids, too.  I decorate my room for me and my students, and I share this with you because it's part of who I am.  Just getting that out there... Anyhooooo......

  Welcome to my First Grade! 
 
My supply cubbies...obviously.  I traded out the old buckets that came with the unit, and upgraded to some matching tubs from Target. One of the best investments I've made. Love the color, the fact that they match, and they don't even need labels!

This is the view from the door for my 20 sweet firsties!

Front of the room where we work with our Promethean Board, display our anchor charts, and hang out with cozy cushions and crate seats. The kids love sitting here...and I love the storage!  One of my favorite Pinterest projects, ever.... whoever thought of this is a GENIUS!

Our reading area/book center. I have seen this rug in so many classrooms, so I guess great minds really do think alike. I clearly have a little love for polka dots, chevron and patterns, so this little area just makes me happy.  My sweet daddy built me these bookshelves, and they are so great for keeping my books organized.

Join me on the rug! We have our morning meetings,whole group lessons, and read alouds here. My sweet momma recovered my chair & I just love it! 

These are my kids' work cubbies. These binder clips with labels have been a lifesaver for me. No more scratching off old crusty labels from year to year, or when adding a new student. I have been to war with some Goo-Gone, and I did not win that battle. Thank you, Pinterest...again!

Where all (well,most) of my "stuff" is stored. Books, binders,and well....stuff!
That chair doesn't live there all the time, but I had been using it as a ladder early that day.Yep, I'm short...and I have T-Rex arms, too!

Can you tell I love some patterns?  Contact paper is definitely my friend!
The clouds are for our Sky High Behavior!  

This is our Standards Board....We call it "I Can Central"!
I also have sharpened and un-sharpened pencils in those cute straw dispensers.

Here is an up-close view of our I Can statements. I just peeled the labels off old soup cans, and taped some new paper ones on the front.  They're perfect for storing our statements.  
{If you want to see these in my store, click HERE.  There are editable cards for your own science and social studies standards)

This is where I do our "centers".  We actually call them stations, and the centers are just one of the stations the kids go to each day. I will post more about this later, but it is honestly one of the best systems I have ever found. Life-changing!

And back to the other side of the room.  I didn't get a picture of this other wall, but it's a full length wall of kid cubbies for bookbags, coats, etc..with my own storage on top & a closest. Nothing too exciting. :)

So, that's it!!  I love my little room, and my little learners, too!
As always, thanks for stopping by & taking this little tour with me. I hope you are off to a GREAT new year,or well on your way if you haven't started yet!!

Happy Back to School!!

post signature

7 comments:

  1. Do you have a printable copy of your door? I love it!
    Thanks,
    Emily
    scheinbere@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The binder clips on the cubbies has been an awesome idea for me too! My labels took the varnish off of my expensive wooden mailbox - everyone should know about the binder clips! :0)

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)