Saturday, June 27, 2015

Quick Teacher Tip: Summer Notes

Hi Friends!
    I'm keeping it short today, but I wanted to share something I do every summer. 
It's a very small something, but it has a BIG impact.  
We're about halfway through the summer here in Georgia, and this is usually about the time I sit down and write each of my "last year" students a little note.  

It's not much. I keep it simple.  I ask them about their summer,and what they have been doing over the break. Then, I tell them one or two things I have been doing.  I end with telling them to come see at Open House or when school starts back and letting them know I have been thinking about them & how much I miss their smiling face.

It takes a little bit of time to personalize a note for every child, but it's so worth it.  Every August when school starts back, I have kids come by to tell me they were so excited to get their "REAL MAIL!".  
Come on, you know you love REAL MAIL, too!  

Not bills, not ads, but the real mail that makes you feel special and like someone thought enough to send you something through the Snail Mail. 

In this day & age of email & SnapChat, very rarely do children get something in the mailbox that is actually theirs...and is personalized just for them! 

Plus, it teaches them a little about note or letter structure, and how to actually correspond using proper capitalization, punctuation and sentence formation.  It's also a great real world connection to the content I teach in first grade.  

Not only do my kids love it, but parents do, too! They love knowing that their child still holds a special place in a teacher's heart, even after the last day of school. 

I mail them out & use the school's address as my return address. That saves any sort of problem with privacy or letting parents and students know where I live.  

There are some of my former students that I still send Summer Notes to - they have written me back over the years, and it's become a bit of a tradition. I love being part of my students lives, and letting them know that they always matter!

So, that's it for me. Just a little Saturday tip for maintaining those relationships and letting students know that they will always be "one of my kids".

As always, thanks for stopping by! :)


post signature

5 comments:

  1. Love this idea! I know they LOVE getting mail!

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)