Monday, June 29, 2015

Bingo Dauber Glue Sponges


Hi Friends!
   Today marks four weeks since my summer began, and as you probably know, I have been spending my time doing a whole bunch of...well, nothing.  Okay, I can't say that. I've been doing a whole lot of everything, but nothing school related. 
 
   Now that I realize my time is wearing thin, and I've got two weeks of vacation planned in the midst of my last four weeks of summer, it was time to light a little fire under my hiney and do something for my classroom.

   For the last few years, I have made glue sponges each summer to get ready for the school year. By now, you've probably heard about glue sponges, and honey, lemme tell you, they are one of the BEST things that have ever happened to me as a teacher.
If you don't know about glue sponges, I'll give you a little run down.  The original idea comes from Greg at The Kindergarten Smorgasboard.  Basically, you get some tight-sealing plastic containers, layer the bottom with white glue, cut & lay sponge on top of the glue, then pour more glue on top.  Seal up the container,and let it sit for a couple weeks for the sponges to really soak up all the glue.  
In the past, I've gotten some Glad Sandwich containers & the kids shared. This year, I decided to make these little individual ones for each student. 

To put these bad boys to good use in the classroom, the kids cut out their little pieces of paper, lay gently on top of the sponge (because all the glue has been absorbed by the sponge) and voila - glue on the paper AND there's NO MESS!  

Plus, it cuts down on the use of glue sticks, which apparently, my kids eat. Seriously, we go through about 200 before Christmas.  So, glue sponges have saved my sanity....and my money! :)

But...and this is a BIG BUT, my kids always have a problem when we use BIG pieces of paper.  We make crafts with pieces that are simply too big to put into the glue sponge container..even the sandwich ones.

So, my only option so far has been bottle glue..... which means that every kid's desk ends up looking like this. Messy and I'm sure you know what their paper looks like. Globby, runny, wet, and all stuck together.  Ugh.

This year, I wanted to try making something that would help alleviate the Glue Spill Issue, and still utilize the brilliance behind the glue sponge. 
Enter....BINGO DAUBERS!
I ordered some empty bingo daubers off Amazon, and set out to try my little idea.  {Note: the ones you buy at the Dollar Tree won't work - the tops don't come off. Just FYI!}. 

They were pretty cheap & they're perfect for what I want to do with them. Plus, their itty bitty -- perfect for little first grade hands.  I just filled them up half way, put the dauber on top, sealed them & done!

You just squeeze until the glue fills the spongy top & then "dab" onto the BIG pieces of paper that won't fit in the containers. You can also drag them if you need a little more glue, but no matter what, NO MESS!  Woo hoo!!! :)
 I'm in love with my new Glue Daubers.

You might ask, "Why don't you just use glue bottles?"  I know that makes the most sense, but seriously, friends, my kids get bottle glue EVERYwhere, no matter how many lessons we have on "Just a Dot, Not a Lot".  There are some that get it & do wonderfully with glue bottles, and then there are some that just like glue. 
A lot. A whole lot.

Plus, they think the Glue Sponges are cool, and I know they'll love these little daubers, too! Maybe your little ones will love them, too! :)

So, that's it for me, y'all ! I hope you're enjoying your summer & can take advantage of this little tip!
Thanks for stopping by! :)

post signature

31 comments:

  1. What a FABULOUS idea!!! Love this and can't wait to use in my class! Would you mind posting the link to the ones you bought off Amazon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea SO much! Definitely want to try it. Thanks for sharing!
    FlapJack

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is GENIUS! I've used glue sponges the past few years but the bingo dauber idea blows my mind! Seriously such a good idea! Thanks for sharing!

    Marcy
    Saddle Up For 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I'm totally going to try the glue sponges this year....but I love the Bingo Dauber idea too!

    Nicki
    Mrs. Thigpen's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I haven't tried the glue sponges yet, but I definitely will try this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How long do the glue sponges last? How often do you have to refill the glue? I teach 2nd and they eat glue sticks, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! This is a great idea and I'm going to try it. My question is this...Once they've used the glue dauber and put the cap back on, did you have trouble removing the top later? Did the glue run into the threads and glue the cap onto the top of the bottle?? Just curious to see if you have any issues later with the daubers. Thanks for the suggestions! Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine!
      I haven't had any trouble with it gluing to the bottle so far. There is not a whole lot of glue that comes out with each squeeze, so there's not a "glop" to glue it all together. :)

      Delete
    2. Just rub a little vaseline around the threads before you put the lid on. Works for all kinds of sticky lids.

      Delete
  8. I love the idea of glue sponges!

    ♥ http://www.dennamichelle.nl/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous idea! Putting it on my summer to do list right now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these ideas!! Thanks for sharing! I will definitely be trying the glue sponges this year. I have a question about the glue dabber bottles...what would you do if a kiddo leaves the top off the bottle and the dabber top dries up?? Would it be enough to just wet it with water?? Thanks again so much for the fabulous ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura!
      Yes, just wet with water , or dip the dauber in water to wet the tip & back to gluing! :)

      Delete
  11. I would love the amazon link too! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard of glue sponges. What a great idea!! Thanks for sharing both ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! I used glue sponges with my church school kiddos this year and BEST thing EVER! So excited to try the dabbers! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So you didn't add any water to the bottles? I want to do this with my middle schoolers. The dot is a lot is not something they remember, even if I remind them 10 times a period.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Since it has been awhile are the glue daubers still working and do you like them?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Genius! Are the glue daubers still working?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've loved using the glue daubers this year! Can you refill them with more glue or is it something you redo from scratch each year?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I tried the glue daubers. The glue doesn't come out very well and then my kids squeeze too hard and the dauber completely pops out. I have had several projects almost ruined due to the bottle emptying onto the paper after the dauber pops out. This has even happened to me and I know to squeeze carefully. They just don't put out enough glue and then the natural reflex is to squeeze harder. I am sad I spent so much personal money on these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same problem. Very disappointed that this didn't work.

      Delete
    2. Maybe water the glue down a tiny bit?

      Delete
    3. Maybe water the glue down a tiny bit?

      Delete
    4. Thanks for sharing your experience with the daubers! I am about to start my 2016 school year and thought about using this in middle school. I'm going to do the sponges. I have a colleague who uses them and loves them!

      Delete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)