Monday, March 30, 2015

Creepy Carrots: Pranks & Opinions

Hi Friends!
     April Fools Day is right around the corner, and if your firsties are anything like mine, they think it's hysterical!  They're already talking about jokes and pranks, and their little versions of it all just crack me up!

    I wanted to come up with a way to incorporate their excitement for April Fools into writing about their opinions and ideas. 

    We had our Book Fair last month & I grabbed this book because I absolutely LOVED the illustrations and the story. It's been sitting on my shelf since then, and this morning I realized it would be a perfect way to talk about plans, pranks, and opinions!
The story is about a rabbit who LOVES eating carrots...he eats them ALL the time,and steals them from the field! 
One day, the rabbit starts worrying about taking so many carrots, and starts thinking the carrots are following him....
He sees them EVERYWHERE!!!
So, Jasper the rabbit decides to make a plan to keep these creepy carrots away from him....but the carrots have a plan of their own!

Because we haven't actually done this yet, I don't have any "action" pics for you. But....
We are going to read the story and then lead a discussion about who had the better plan - Jasper or the carrots.

We've been working on our opinion writing, so the kids will be stating their opinion & then supporting it with three details of WHY they think Jasper or the carrots had the best plan.

For an extension activity, I am going to have my kiddos then write about THEIR best prank idea! 
I think the kids will LOVE it!

Plus, I think this is one of the cutest books on the planet, so I'm pretty excited, too! :)

{I just hand drew the giant carrot & then traced around some writing paper to fit inside. Because of its size, the pattern is too big to make a file to share. Sorry!! }

If you don't have the book in your library, here is a YouTube video of it being read aloud.

That's it for me, friends. Keeping it short tonight, but I just wanted to share this book. 
It's such a  fun way to talk about some April Fools goodness AND get the kids writing!

post signature


  1. I haven't read this book yet, but I MUST have it now! Thanks for sharing! I'm totally using this Wednesday! :)

  2. Might have to watch the video...another teacher has already checked this out of our library! Fun ideas!!

  3. My kids loved that book! A great find. Thanks for sharing, Jayne Smart Kids


I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)