Thursday, January 15, 2015

Throwback Thursday: 100th Day Ideas!

Hi Friends!
Today was the 98th day of school for me and the kiddos, which means the 100th day is just right around the corner....Ours is Tuesday, and as I was writing my plans for the week, I thought I would do a little Throwback Thursday action with some fun ideas for the big day.
I'm really not sure when the 100th Day became a "thing". I don't remember doing it as a kid, but it's been something all of my students know is coming...and they're so excited about it!

This year, we're all dressing up like we are 100 years old, which I think will be so much fun.  We're also doing a bunch of other fun stuff, too!! 

Here are some of the activities we've done in the past that the kids have loved!  I set these up as centers that the kids rotate through during the day. Most years, we've had the centers going all week, so that helps with planning...and it keeps the fun going!
Hershey Kiss Counting: Kiss Your Brain!
I use these little dot stickers (Dollar Tree, Dollar General, Walmart), and stick one to the bottom of 100 Hershey Kisses. The kids have to pull out a kiss, and color the 100 chart the color of the sticker. They continue until they fill in the whole chart.  This year, I'm doing it with a 120 Chart to make it more Common Core friendly.  {The kids get a little baggie of kisses when they're finished, too!}

100 Cup Stack:
This fabulous idea came from Joyful Learning in KC. We've been doing it for a few years, and it's always a favorite. The kids get to take 100 cups, and build anything their little hearts desire. It's amazing what they come up with. I love seeing their creativity!

Sprinkles & Bubble Gum!!
What kid doesn't love cupcakes, sprinkles and bubble gum?! Not many. My firsties have to cut little pieces of paper  - 100 pieces - to create sprinkles for their cupcake.  I also have the bubble gum center where they use Q-Tips to make 100 gumballs for their machine.  They then "subtract" (i.e. cross out) any number of gumballs to create a subtraction problem.  Fun fun!!  Both of these are time consuming, but I love how they turn out! :)

Snack Time!!
10 items....10 of each.
The students count out 10 of each of our ingredients to create their own 100th Day Snack. I send home a letter asking for donations, and we use these mats to help with sorting and counting.  
Of course, this center is a crowd favorite...and a teacher favorite, too!

100 Art: What Can You Make with 100?
Each child gets a 1, and 2 zeros to create anything they want. This little guy made glasses, and I think it's so cute! It's always fun to see their little creations.{I can't find the original source of where I found it on Pinterest, so if you know where this idea came from, please let me know.}
Mr. George Baker:
Sweetness....pure sweetness. I absolutely LOVE this book.  We read the text as a whole group, then the children write about what they think life will be like when they are "old", like Mr. Baker.  Warning: This is a tearjerker, but such a beautiful story. 

Speaking of being old.....
This is my first grader's absolute FAVORITE thing to do.
Using The Aging Booth app, I take all of the kids pictures & then they magically transform to see how they would look when they are 100.  The app actually says it only ages you like 30 or 40 years (which is terrifying when I look at this picture), but the kids think it's hilarious....and their parents love it, too!!
Seriously, this pictures gives me nightmares!!

Here's one of my sweet friend's from last precious!
You can download it to your phone or tablet, and it's super easy to use. I just print the pictures the day before, and bring them to school for the kids. They use their pictures to go along with their Mr. Baker writing & we hang them in the hallway. 

So, those are some of my favorite things to do to celebrate the 100th Day! What are some other activities that you love to do? I'd love some new ideas!

As always, thanks for stopping by....and just think, the 100th Day means you're over HALFWAY to SUMMER!!! Woo hoo!!


post signature


  1. What a great post! Wonderful ideas! I can't wait to do the aging photo with my kids- what a hoot!:)

  2. Thank you for posting all of your ideas related to the 100th day! I have been teaching Kindergarten for 16 years and our program was part time so we never made it to 100 (only 88). This is our first year going full time so we finally get to celebrate 100 days this year. I am going to snag some of your ideas. Have a great weekend!

  3. Great ideas! I'm stealing the cups and kisses ideas! We write 10 things in 10 categories- cereals, candy, drinks, pets, zoo animals, places to visit (this is funny to do- Walmart and Alaska could both be in this list!), people, fruits, games, and colors.


I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)