Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Mummy Sentences & a FREEBIE!

I'm sure you're all with me when I say this week is CRAZY!  The kids are all so excited about Halloween & we are just trying to keep our heads above water. I am so happy Halloween is on a Friday this year...can I get an Amen on that?!
I've always thought November 1st was the hardest day to teach. The candy highs...then the candy lows...it's just too much! :)

Anyway, one of my most popular blog posts was when we did an activity focused on the 4 types of sentences & using Mo Willems' pigeon books. 
(You can find this activity {here})

This year, our sentence focus fell on this fabulous week of Halloween, so I decided to change it up a little bit.

We read the book Where's My Mummy? which includes ALL four sentence types in the text. Plus, it's super cute & the kids love it.

After reading, we created an anchor chart of the 4 types of sentences.  Not my best work, I admit, but it served the purpose and the kids generated all of the sentences during the lesson.

After making our anchor chart & sorting sentence strips representing the different types of sentences (sorry, forgot to take a picture), we moved onto our activity - Mummy Sentences!!!

Each child was given a different sentence bubble - a different shape for each type of sentence. I gave my lower babies declarative and interrogative because they were more familiar with those types of sentences. My higher learners were asked to create imperative and exclamatory sentences.

After filling in our speech bubbles, it was Mummy Time!

Each child was given a cut out  mummy & asked to cut or tear paper to "wrap" their mummy.
They turned out so cute!
Honestly, I had to do a lot of "let it go" because I am somewhat of a control freak when it comes to crafts, but I really do love how these turned out.

They are each very unique... I can definitely say that!
 This one looks like he is wearing glasses!

This kiddo almost covered the whole thing! He was very particular about being neat, though.

And this friend won the "unique" prize! I've never seen a mummy wrapped vertically. Too cute.

So,that's it. Easy and a great way to demonstrate understanding of the 4 sentence types. We also did this little cut & paste as an assessment. Click on the picture to grab your own copy.

If you'd like a copy of the speech bubbles we used for the activity, click {here}.

So, that's it for me, friends.I hope you can use this quick and cute little activity in your Halloween planning. As always, thanks for stopping by and HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!! 

post signature


  1. So cute...going to use the bottom portion of your worksheet and make my own gluing part, since our series calls them sentences and questions... (And don't even get me started on special nouns...we will be the only people on the planet who call proper nouns that!!)


I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)