Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Getting in Order with Number Lines & A FREEBIE!


Hey y'all !
  We are really getting down with some numbers in first grade, and this week has been so much fun! This year,I have a group that really needs to be busy, and really needs some hands-on activities to keep them engaged, so we have been getting out of our desks & working with numbers.

   Our focus has been on putting numbers in order from 1-120.  I found these easy-peasy cut-apart 120 numbers from Jennifer on TpT.  They're FREE, which always makes me smile. 

  There are 7 pages of numbers, and once put together, they make a GIANT 120 chart! Fun fun!  I ran each page on a different colored paper to help with organization....or better said...so the kids wouldn't lose or mix up their numbers.
 I divided my class into groups of 6. I have 18, so it worked perfectly for me.  Every child got a different color & they each had to cut apart their page of numbers.
When they finished, it was time for work!
 Each group worked together to put their numbers in order from 1-120.

Folks, I won't lie, this took some time. 
But, it was awesome to see their little brains at work...and a great way for me to assess each child's understanding. 

I loved watching them figure out that if they line the "ones" up, the numbers would create a chart.
Plus, I got to get on the floor with them!

The kids really loved this activity, and have begged to do it again.
Of course, I gave in! What teacher wouldn't jump at the opportunity to have their kids work with numbers?! 

Today, we moved from the 120 chart to a number line..
a BIG GIANT number line!!

I got this idea from Pinterest and Dilly Dabbles.
She used this activity for decimals, but when I saw it, I just knew it would be perfect for our counting unit.

I made the number tents (notecards cut folded in half) to include all numbers to 120.
I color coded each group of ten to provide some assistance in the activity.
Then, I bagged each group (1-20, 21-40, 41-60, 61-80, 81-100, 101-120) to break it down into manageable parts.
I divided my kids into 6 groups & assigned them a baggie.  
This was a great way to differentiate, too.
I knew which kids needed smaller numbers to work with, and which children would thrive with the challenge of higher ones. 

I tied some string from one side of the room to the other & then they got started!
(For the record - you will need 17.5 feet of string if you cut notecards in half for 1-100, and use a whole card for larger numbers.. Just FYI!)




To help with some of my "littles", I put the benchmark numbers, the tens, on the line for them & secured with a clothespin. 

I also allowed each group to come up in order, so we were building the line from 1-120.

The kids LOVED it! 
And they did an AMAZING job! I was so impressed, and so happy! :)

 Thumbs up for math, right?! :)

They have already asked if we can do it again tomorrow, so I call that a win!

When the custodian opened the door (my only choice for a line this long), he thought I had set up some kind of trap! haha!  

So, grab some notecards & tie up some string. I promise you're kids will have a blast!

We also played a game of "Before, Between, After" SCOOT...another great way to get kids moving...and I'm including it here for FREE!  Just click the picture! :)

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Number-Order-Before-After-Between-SCOOT-1441822

 So, that's it for me! As always, thanks for stopping by :)




post signature

9 comments:

  1. Fabulous Post Kelly! I am totally stealing this idea! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea and can't wait to use it with my kiddos. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just discovered your blog and love it.
    Such amazing ideas :)
    Sheri
    Early Years with Sheri

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)