Friday, September 26, 2014

Five for Friday: Double Up Edition

Hi Y'all!!  It''s finally Friday, and I am happy, happy, happy to see the weekend roll around.  When I see all the cars pulling out of the parking lot on Friday afternoons, I always think of this...
Yes, it's bad....but yes, it's funny, too!

Anyway, I missed linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching last week, so I'm doubling up for a Five for (2) Fridays....
This linky is all about the highlights of the last week...or two, in my case.  So, here goes....
MB and I took a little weekend trip to New Orleans & had a blast!!  The beignets, the music, the crazy people, and the history.. it was fantastic. It was so hot, I sweat my face off, but it was worth it.  I love weekend getaways!

 
I got these super cute magnets from Tea and Coffee!!  They were personalized to match my classroom, and of course, I love the Melonheadz!!!  I'm still trying to figure out the best way to use them...and if I need to buy another set...but I am in LOVE, Love, love!!!  Aren't they adorable???

We practiced place value using our pool noodles.  I saw this idea from Teacher Tipster a few years back, and it's a hit every year. This class needs a lot of movement and hands-on activities to keep them engaged, and these were just the ticket!!  I've seen them all over on SALE with summer coming to a close, so head on out & grab you some cheap & fabulous math manipulatives!

 This week, it was all about verbs. They're something that you DO!!!  This is another great unit to keep these kiddos moving around as we acted out verbs all week.  My firsties absolutely love this video....
We've listened to this so many times, I am hearing it in my sleep!!!

Then, we just HAD to read and listen to Pete the Cat: Rockin' in my School Shoes. Always a class favorite!
After we listened to this a gazillion times, we made our cute little Pete the Cats with verb guitars!
 Then, because the fun never stops...we finished up our unit with a little 
Turtle Power!!!!
The kids had to write a narrative story about an adventure with their favorite Ninja Turtle. The rules were they had to include at least FIVE verbs, use their best handwriting, and make sure their stories were sequenced correctly.  

I had them highlight their verbs (kids always love to use highlighters!) & then they could make their craftivity!  They loved it, and their stories turned out so cute!!!

 

I posted about one of my favorite ways to stay organized last week.  Using the Copy Binder has made my life so much easier. I had several requests for the templates, so they are up in my TpT store if you are interested. Just click {here} to check it out!

So, that's it for me!! I hope you all had a wonderful week & this finds you well. As always, thanks for stopping by!! :)
post signature

8 comments:

  1. I love your place value pool noodles! Such a great idea and so interactive and hands on for the kids! Your New Orleans pictures are great!! Would love to go there one day!!

    recipeforteaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pool noodle idea is genius! If I still had a homeroom I would use the magnets for ordering lunch or for daily data- like placing on a bar graph or a line plot. The numbers would correspond to students numbers- just have to hope the boy- girl thing matches up!
    Carol
    Teachers Are Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looooove me some Cafe Du Monde. YUM. My mouth is watering. Also, those magnets are ADORABLE! It looks like you've had a great two weeks!

    Kristin
    My Carolina Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you stopped by my blog and it led me to yours. It is SO cute. I absolutely love the colors, fonts, layout! Everything!! Love the pool noodle idea. So cool to see it in action. I've seen it on pinterest but wondered it if it is a pain in the classroom or the kids start using them as swords!! Love love love your new magnets. Those are so cute. The possibilities are endless. I used picture magnets of each student as a graphing activity - ask a question and they move their magnet to the correct spot. Also the lunch count idea is a good one. I also used number magnets on the board for my math groups so they knew what group they were in that week and what centers they would go to. I also used number magnets as a reminder for kids who needed to redo work or work with me on something...put them on the board so you and the kids knew who you needed to call over.

    So glad I found your blog. Have a great weekend!!!

    Sara
    Sara J Creations

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)