Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Meet the Teacher {Linky}


It's that time of year when we all get to meet our new kiddos and, sometimes, our new coworkers. It's such a fun time for me because I just love getting to know each one of my first graders, and their little personalities.  They are just so full of life....okay, okay, sometimes a little {too} much life, but I still love getting to know them!!

In the spirit of getting to know folks, Stephanie from Falling into First came up with this fabulous linky where you get to learn a little more about the teachers behind the blogs.  Such a fun idea, and I'm super excited to link up!
 Hi y'all!  I'm Kelly and I'm a 37 year old first grade teacher. Wow, 37 sounds so much older when I write it out like that!  This is my 14th year teaching, and my 13th with firsties. First grade is truly where my heart is, and I absolutely love my job.  I was born in Tennessee, grew up in Alabama, and began teaching and still live in Georgia. I'm what some would call a southern mutt & I'm okay with that. Moving around and changing schools so much taught me just how important teachers are in the lives of students.  Being the "new kid" can be tough, but there were so many teachers along the way that helped shape who I am, and made me want to teach.  I'm so thankful for teachers everywhere!

I've been with this guy for a little over six years, and I am the luckiest girl on the planet. We live 100 miles apart, but see each other every weekend.  It's not always easy, but it is always worth it.

I spent my summer doing a whole bunch of beachin', and a whole lot of nothing else. It was fabulous. School has started back and the transition to real shoes (no flip flops) and "big girl" clothes has been a challenge! :)

 Alright, time for the Q&A...

  THESE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS...
containers...of all shapes and sizes (it's an addiction!), flip flops, the beach, mason jars, cotton, making & crossing off "to do" lists, crafting, painting, Diet Coke, college football (GO VOLS!), cheesy chick-flicks, The Walking Dead, live music, Sephora, Target, shopping, and naps.

  Q: IF YOU WEREN'T A TEACHER, WHAT WOULD YOU WANT TO BE?
Does Beach Bum count as an occupation, 'cause I could totally get into that!  Truthfully, as far back as I can remember, I have always wanted to be a teacher. I used to line up my stuffed animals for "school" before I even went to Kindergarten, and my poor parents had to suffer through "homework time" regularly!  But, if I wasn't a teacher, I would love to be a talent scout for a record company, an interior designer, or a travel agent.

THREE LITTLE WORDS THAT DESCRIBE YOU.
Loyal. Creative. Happy.


FINISH THE SENTENCE, "________,  SAID NO TEACHER EVER!!"
 "I have so much extra time!"  I don't know a single teacher that doesn't work his or her booty off day & night. There just aren't enough hours in the day!

Q: IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY AND YOU CAN INVITE ANYONE {DEAD OR ALIVE} TO THE PARTY. WHO ARE YOU INVITING?
Elvis, Jimmy Fallon, Peyton Manning, Melissa McCarthy, Sandra Bullock & Mother Theresa. 
Odd mix, I know, but imagine what they all could bring to the conversation!!

Q: IF SOMEONE WROTE A BOOK ABOUT YOUR LIFE, WHAT WOULD BE THE TITLE? 
Organized Chaos - isn't that what all teacher's lives are like?!

 Q:YOU GET TO PICK ONE SUPERPOWER. WHAT IS IT?
The ability to teleport. How cool would it be to just show up wherever you want in a matter of seconds? I'd also really like to be able to "turn invisible" when I teleport. Some say that means you're shady... I think I'm just nosey. :)

Q: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE QUOTE OR SAYING?
"Dont take life too seriously... You'll never get out of it alive" AND
"Be the change you want to see in the world" - Ghandi

Couldn't pick just one. Sorry! 

Q: IF YOU HAD TO SING ONE SONG ON AMERICAN IDOL, WHAT WOULD IT BE? 
Oh wow... no one needs to hear me sing. I would definitely make the "what was she thinking?" reel.
But, for the sake of the question, we'll assume I actually can sing. I'd pick "At Last" by Etta James, because if I could sing.. I would want to sing like THAT! :)

 Q: ARE YOU A MORNING PERSON OR A NIGHT OWL?
 Night owl!!!  All summer, my bedtime was never before 2 a.m. 
The 5:45 alarm clock is the devil, I tell you.
I hate mornings. 
 
 Q: WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE RESOURCE THAT YOU'VE CREATED IN YOUR TPT SHOP? 
My favorite would have to be my monthly Common Core homework packs. I love them because I created them for me & my team, and we use them every week. Personally, I love products that are tried & true in the classroom. 
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/First-Grade-Common-Core-Homework-August-790308
 
 
Q: SHARE SOMETHING WE MIGHT NOT KNOW ABOUT YOU! 
I have an irrational fear of opossums, alpacas & ghosts.
Like I said, irrational, but they're real :)

YOUR TURN!!!
Head on over to Falling into First & link up!
Or, if you're not a blogger, hop over & read more about your favorite folks :)
 
http://fallingintofirst.blogspot.com/
 
 So, that's me! 
As always, thanks for stopping by! :)

post signature

3 comments:

  1. Kelly, I'll be a beach bum with you! :) Where do we sign up? I loved reading your post and getting to know more about you and your life! More time is something we all need. I think it's really sweet that you devote your weekends to seeing your guy! Hope that alarm gets easier!

    Jeannine
    Creative Lesson Cafe

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your guy look SO happy and beautiful together! It certainly is worth it! Melissa McCarthy would be a great person to invite to a party! Can I come too? Your products look extremely impressive in that photo, BRAVO! Best of luck with the upcoming school year!
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it funny how when you think what else you would be...you come up with nothing! My problem too! Beach bum does sound nice though!

    Lindsay
    For the Love of First Grade

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)