Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Chugga Chugga Noun Trains & a Freebie, too!

Chugga, Chugga, Choo! Choo!
   We are chugging right along in our school year & approaching the tenth day of school. We are still working on those rules & procedures, but we are also diving right into our curriculum.

   This week, it's all about nouns! I don't know why, but I always love teaching nouns to kids. It's such a great way to kick off ALL the parts of speech and language arts skills that have to be mastered in first grade, and there are so many ways to work with this skill!

   My kids love when we start our lessons off with a fun YouTube video, and for some reason, my firsties go nuts about this noun song.....
 Don't ask me, but it sure does get them moving!!  Of course, we also love anything SchoolHouse Rock!

   Today, after our little sing-along, we talked about trains. More importantly, we talked about how a PERSON can take a THING (the train) to a PLACE.  We made an anchor chart of all the people that might ride a train.... and listed the places we could go!  We also talked about other ways, or things, we could take to get to another place.

   Then, we made our Noun Trains!
 The kids were given the patterns (hand drawn by me, nothing fancy). The "windows" of the trains were cut out, and they glued the whole train car to the top of a long piece of white paper.

Then, they had to write and illustrate an example of a person, a place, and a thing.

You'll also notice the black circles on the engine.

I printed out pictures of the kids, and had them glue them to the engine so they were the engineer of their noun train! They loved it!

I think they turned out pretty cute!  The kids had a blast with them, and when they had to apply their knowledge of nouns in a quick assessment, they did great!

I made this little noun pack for my kids, and wanted to share with you.


There is a poster, a practice activity sheet, and an assessment for you to use with your kids. 
It's a FREEBIE, so click on one of the pictures to grab it! :)

Also, don't forget that TpT is throwing a ONE-DAY SALE tomorrow!
Fill up those wish lists, and get ready to save!

Oh, and for those who have been using my monthly homework packs, the second grade August set is now available...and on sale tomorrow!! Just click the picture.


So, that's it for me, friends. As always, thanks so much for stopping by!! :)

post signature


  1. We are began working with nouns this week. This freebie is great! Thanks so much!!
    Mrs.Christy’s Leaping Loopers

  2. We will start nouns in a couple of weeks! Thanks so much!


I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)