Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Let's Talk About Books!! {Linky Party!!}

Hi Friends!
     If you know me, you know that I LOVE books. In all honesty, it's more than love - it's darn near an addiction.  I have no idea how many books I have in my class library, but it's a lot, and it has been suggested that perhaps I have too many. Too many???  Nah, no way!   So, when I saw Deanna's We LOVE Books Linky, I had to link up!
    Every week, Deanna and those who link up are going to share some of their favorite books & how they can be used in the classroom. 

   For me, I've only been out of school for two weeks, and while I keep trying to put any & every thing that involves school out of my head, you know that's not possible. 

  I keep thinking about how I want to set up my room this year....what I will change...what will stay the same...how many kids I will have.... and of course, what I'll do that first week of school!   Because of that, I wanted to share one of my most favorite books for kick-starting the school year.... Armadillo Tattletale.
Y'all, I absolutely love this book, and my kids do too. It is a hit every.single.year.  The book is by Helen Ketteman, and tells the story of the Armadillo...

Apparently, a long time ago, Armadillos had very long ears....and great hearing, too!  So, in this story Armadillo uses those ears for bad and not good. He eavesdrops on conversations and goes about tattling and gossiping to all the animals about what he has heard.
 Every time, he twists words around and tattles or gossips the wrong thing. It causes a lot of trouble for Armadillo and the other animals.

  Eventually, he makes the alligator mad enough that she snips and clips his big long ears all the way down to tee-tiny-itty-bitty ears where he simply can't eavesdrop and tattle anymore.

   And so goes the story of how armadillos ended up with such tiny ears!

   It's such a great book to use for a character study - especially at the beginning of first grade.  I use this to compare Armadillo's attitude and character traits at the beginning of the story to those at the end.  It can also be used to talk about Author's Purpose, cause & effect, and all the narrative elements.

  For me??  At the beginning of the school year, I use it as part of a manner's unit and mostly, to talk about TATTLING!!  Yuk!
  I don't know about you, but tattling is about the biggest thorn in my side. It's like nails on a chalkboard. It makes me want to scream.  Yell.  Bang my  head against the wall.... well, you get the point.

     So, to avoid all that screaming nonsense,  I jump start the school year with a lesson on tattling versus telling...

   I work hard on teaching the kids the difference between telling me something important...and tattling about something they can handle. 

  I also have to work with some parents on this, too.  Sometimes it's hard to explain that we, as teachers, just don't have enough time in the day to listen to every. single. word  that comes out of every.single.kid's mouth. It's just not possible. I would love to. I just can't.

   So, by teaching the difference between tattling and telling, I try to fight that battle from day one... in hopes it will keep down the tattles throughout the year.

   Don't get me wrong - we revist the "Is it a tell or a tattle?" all year long, but I absolutely LOVE this book for the beginning of the year, and it helps to really get the conversation going in the classroom about this topic.

   Oh, and I made up some Telling vs. Tattling Task Cards to use with or without the book when you start back to school.  Just click {here} to grab them for FREE :)

So, there you have it, friends.... I hope you love this book as much as I do!! I'd love to hear how you would use this book in your room, so please feel free to share in the comments. :)

Now, head on over to Deanna's and link up. I am always in the market for great new reads, so share some of you favorites!!! 

Happy Tuesday! :)


  1. The book sounds perfect for all year round. Thank you so much for that freebie - I'm going to use it tomorrow! The tattling never ends in my classroom!
    Growing Little Learners

  2. This sounds like a book that I have needed for years. Thanks for sharing.

  3. How fun! This link party is going to be dangerous for my credit card! I'm envious you've been out of school for a few weeks...tomorrow is my last day...finally!
    Short and Sassy Teacher

  4. Thanks for sharing! I have never heard of this book, so I will have to check it out.

    Fantastic First Grade Froggies

  5. Ok, I need to add that book to my Amazon cart right now. So cute! lol. And I totally believe there is no such thing as too many books! :)

    First Grade Garden

  6. Awesome- plus it's about an armadillo. My sister and I loooooove armadillos!
    The Meek Moose


I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)