Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Let's Talk about Books {Linky!} and Go on a Bear Hunt!!

Hi Friends!
Today I'm linking up with Deanna Jump to talk about our favorite books to use in the classroom.
 

I absolutely LOVE this linky. It makes my heart happy, and I just love children's literature!!

This week, I'm going with an "Oldie, but a Goodie".

I don't know about you, but I have such fond memories of being read to as a child.

       Great books about monsters, moons, tar babies and steam shovels.... rabbits with feelings, bears with missing buttons, and little engines that could.  Those are memories that are absolutely part of my soul... and I can't imagine life without them.  Perhaps they're part of why I became a teacher - to share the love I had for books with other children.  

    One of the greatest books is We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen and Helen Oxenbury.


Now, this book came out originally in 1989, so I was already 12 years old and babysitting some kids in the neighborhood when I first read this gem. I remember the little girl just laughing along with the book, and begging me to read it again and again. That's when you know it's a good book. Am I right?!
The book is based on an old familiar camp song or sing-along about a father and his children going on a bear hunt.  I'm sure most of you are already singing along in your head right now, as a matter of fact.
The family encounter obstacles along the way, and have to find a way to overcome them.  They go around, above, through, and under things to get to their destination. (Great for that preposition lesson, too!)

There are also sound effects throughout the book so children can read or sing along with the text.

And the best part?? You can act it out!!

Kids absolutely LOVE acting this story out.
They get to run and jump and swim all while standing right in their classroom.
Fun fun fun!! :)

The reason I am recommending this book right now is because it's one of my favorites to do on the first day of school.  We read this book, and then go on our own Bear Hunt (read: School Tour) throughout our school building!
We use these little clues, and find the bears located all around our school. The kids also get a kick out of dressing up like safari rangers to go on this big bear hunt!

If you'd like a copy of these cards, they are in my TpT store and are totally EDITABLE for you to make your own!!  Click {here} to check them out :)

Now, I don't have a picture of my kiddos actually dressed up, but here are the important pieces of our costumes...
The kids absolutely loved doing this.

For the hats, just grab some bowls at your local grocery store or Wal-Mart. Make sure they have that plastic-y coating on them, though because you're going to spray paint them & you want it to work.  Do not get styrofoam. Just hole punch each side, as far away from the edge as you can, and run a piece of elastic cord through the holes so it will fit snugly under the kids' chins.

For the binoculars, grab two toilet paper rolls or one paper towel roll (per child), and run a piece of masking tape around both of them to tape them together. Then tape the string on either side.  Lastly, using some cute duck tape or washi tape, cover the rolls and run one piece around the whole thing to give it the look of binoculars! And, done :)

I also grabbed some fun stick-on mustaches at Hobby Lobby for the kids to wear if they wanted.

The final product was hilarious - I'm not gonna lie. 
I ended up with two boys that were the spitting image of Mario and Luigi, and it was hysterical. I mean like tears-running-down-my-cheeks funny.

But, the kids loved it, and it really made the first day...and the dreaded school tour...so much more fun! 

It's a great book & it's so much fun. Plus, this book really is a classic (or on it's way to becoming one), and I love exposing my class to old AND new texts throughout the school year.  

 Speaking of old texts, what was your favorite or were your favorite books as a kid??? 
I'd love you to share!!

After you comment with those memories, go check out the other folks that linked up this week and don't forget to start stocking up those toilet paper rolls!!! 

As always, thanks for stopping by! 



post signature

6 comments:

  1. Going on a Bear Hunt is one of my favorites. Such a great book for acting out . Love your bowl safari hats. Until I read that you painted them, I thought that they might be earth-friendly bowls that were made from unbleached fibers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly...oh my! I just love you and all your posts and yes...tap the brakes June...I am so...not ready! Way to go lil' miss 18 year old blog designer and the design is adorbs...here's hoping many doors are open to you!
    Love your first day idea and I'm sure your babies do too!

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)