Monday, March 10, 2014

Missing Addends, Word Problems & a FREEBIE!

Oh, Daylight Savings, how I love thee...and hate thee all the same!
   I absolutely love the longer days & actually having some daylight at the conclusion of my endless workday, but wow, do I loathe the transition.  How can one little itsy bitsy hour feel so..... very.....long?

I feel like I didn't sleep at all this weekend, even though I really did,  and am wondering how early is too early to go to bed?!  I'm not a huge coffee drinker, but today was a Starbucks day, for sure. Then, I saw this cute funny that absolutely matched my day... was definitely a Monday!

Anyway, my little firsties have been working really hard on solving problems with a missing addend. This week, we are moving into word problems with missing addend, before we even think about doing the same with minuends.

I figured plugging in some word problems would help break up the two, and help alleviate the confusion that always comes with teaching missing number in subtraction problems right after missing addend. 

So, we started with our anchor chart.... and introduced & worked on the different strategies to solve these problems....
Not my best work, but hey, it's Monday :)

We always work with part/part/whole, and then discuss how that relates to an addition problem. I also encourage my kiddos to draw to solve any time they can.

For my low babies, drawing a picture is one strategy I can always count on to help them solve a problem. Plus, when it comes to testing time, I want them to always remember they can draw a picture when they need a little help.

After working with our anchor chart, we played the BEST game. I got this idea from Mrs. McCbumee's Class & my kids absolutely LOVED it!! 
She calls the game SALUTE. You put the kids into groups of 3. There is a "dealer" and two "players".  First, you sort all the non-number cards out of a deck. Then, the "dealer" passes out one card to each "player". He or she cannot look at their card and must put it on their forehead.  The "dealer" then gives the "players" the sum of the two numbers. By taking the sum & then looking at their partners card, they have to figure out the MISSING ADDEND, or the card they have on their forehead.  The kids continue until all the cards are gone!
They absolutely LOVED it!!!  And..the best part?? Even the kids who struggled with the concept really did wonderfully with this game. Every single kid asked if we could do it tomorrow... umm..yes, we can !!

And, you can always differentiate this activity by giving different cards to different groups of children, or making cards above 10 for those high learners. Love, love, love.

When we had finished playing our game, we moved into solving some word problems.  In my class, we use the CUBES strategy for solving word problems.  This idea comes from Working 4 the Classroom.  She does this with her 4th graders, but it has been one of the BEST things I've ever implemented into my first grade classroom.
We worked through the first 4 problems using the document camera & the Promethean Board, and then I let them solve the last two independently.
They did SUCH a great job!!

Some kids went immediately to subtraction because we had talked about it with our anchor chart, but others stuck with the missing addend equations. Whatever works, right?! 

When we move into subtraction with missing number, I think this will really help. 

Anyway, if you'd like a copy of this practice sheet, as well as another one, just click the picture below. It's a FREEBIE since I've been so MIA lately... sorry 'bout that...
So, that's about it for me, friends!  I hope you've all had an amazing Monday & you're not dragging after this time change. I really wish I understood WHY we have to change every year, but I guess it's just one of those things I gotta learn to live with.  Now, time for another caffeinated beverage....

As always, thanks for stopping by!


  1. Love this idea!!! Thanks for sharing... I can't wait to play this game with my kiddos soon. Your blog is so adorable. I started following you officially. Thanks for stopping by my blog too!
    Keep Calm and Love First Grade

  2. Love the Starbucks pic. Totally feel your pain. We had Math Night at school I worked 7:30 am to 7:30 pm and lost that hour. Ugh!

    Mrs. Thigpen's Kindergarten

  3. Kelly, my Monday needed a DOULBe Daylight Saving time extra cream and extra sauce.
    I feel ya sis!
    But boy do I love the Salute card game...and yes I would love for you to email the specific directions because I will forget by morning. That is how tired I am.
    Hugs to you!

  4. The game looks awesome and is now on the schedule for next week!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!

  5. I love the "salute" game. We play it occasionaly but I never had a name for it! Love the name! I'm still feeling the effects of Daylight Savings Time. Ugh! I hope your week is shaping up! :o)

  6. Love the salute game. It is great fun for kids and you can have one kid working on adding while two work on missing addend. It also works great for multiplication and division if anyone works with older students!

    The Math Maniac

  7. Love the SALUTE game idea! Playing with my firsties after break!

  8. Love your CUBES sign. Is there anyway I can get a copy of it? I would love to use in my room. Thanks!!
    Sara V

  9. I love using the CUBES strategy with my third graders. CUTE poster! Can I grab a copy of that to use in my room? Thanks!!

  10. I absolute love your game! Can't wait to try it with our students! Thank you for sharing!!

  11. Love the poster showing the steps for problem solving ... CUBES! I have looked on your blog and was wondering where I could get a copy. Thanks so much for sharing!


I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)