Friday, March 21, 2014

Five for Friday - SPRING Time!

Yay for Spring!!!  This has been the longest winter ever, and coming from a southerner who usually appreciates a little cooler temps every now and then, I have to say I am D.O.N.E with winter.  We've had a few days with warmer temps, and this weekend is going to be beautiful, so I'm celebrating my love of spring by linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday.
      I'm not even going to think about the fact that next week our temps are going back down in the 50's.... as Scarlett O'Hara said.. "I'll think about it tomorrow..." 

 We celebrated the luck o' the Irish on Monday with some St. Paddy's Day treats and some graphing. 
The kids loved their little snacks, and it was a fun way to incorporate some math into the holiday.

 We have been working on opinion writing, and I found the CUTEST activities to really kick off the study .Using the books What If You Had Animal Teeth and What If You Had Animal Hair, the kids had to choose what teeth and hair they would want.
 They wrote their opinion & then back it up (tried!) with at least 3 supporting reasons.
 Then, they made these adorable craftivities to go with their writing. 
We still have some work to do with coming up with actual REASONS for our opinion (not "because I like it", or "because it's cool), so we'll continue our unit this week, too.
But, I just LOVED how these turned out and the kids had a BLAST!!!  
They just laughed and really made learning fun with this. Winning! :) haha

I will blog more about these activities, as well as where you can get the patterns and activities later this weekend.  The teeth came from First Grade Wow
and the hair idea came from Dirt Road Teacher.

 I did a little spring retail therapy this week, and snagged some new work clothes & shoes.
Notice a color scheme here?? I can't seem to get enough of that mint blue that's everywhere, and polka dots always make me happy :)

Sorry for the awful pic - those are my way-too-busy sheets & I didn't want to make the bed again just to take a picture the other day. ha!

 I went to Mercer University for my Ed.S, so I claim them as one of my alma maters, and today....they beat Duke!!!  #13 beats #3??  No way, right?!  Super exciting & I was a proud Bear today.
They play University of Tennessee next, and now my heart is torn.
I am a VOL through and through - since birth - and now I have to watch them play.
Gonna have to go with the Vols here, but I am proud of Mercer's win! :)

I am so excited!  Tomorrow I'm headed to meet up with some fabulous Georgia Bloggers!
Can't wait to put some names with faces, share some amazing ideas, and just have FUN!

If you're in GA, and weren't able to sign up for this one, there's talk of another one this summer in Athens.  
I'll keep you posted! :)

So that's it for me, friends. 
I'm in the middle of working on my blog makeover, and I can't wait to get it up and running.  
Stay tuned....

I hope you've had a wonderful first FULL day of're feeling some warmth where you are...and all is right with the world.  We're on the downhill run, folks.... just a few more weeks. :)

Thanks for stopping by!


  1. I L.O.V.E. those books! I had the animal teeth book. Then, yesterday a student bought me the hair book. So excited. Those craftivities are the cutest ever!

  2. I love the animal teeth activity too! Very cute =) I think we are all ready for some Spring therapy.....this winter was WAYYYY TOOOO LOOONNGGG =)

  3. I love the activities you did with those books! They had them at the book fair this past week and I meant to go back and buy them when I was done with my conferences Thursday and FORGOT. So sad about it, but will definitely be ordering them on Scholastic!
    Missing Tooth Grins

  4. Yay for new clothes!! Happy Spring!

    Alexis at Laugh. Eat. Learn.


I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)