Friday, January 24, 2014

Five For Friday (FINALLY!) and Exciting News! :)


It's FINALLY Friday.. and I'm FINALLY linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching (after being gone for way too long) for the fabulous Five for Five linky party....


 It was only a four day week for us with the MLK holiday, but it was a FULL four days, that's for sure. We had a lot of fun, but I am thankful for Friday. :)
 It was the 100th day of school on Wednesday, but we celebrated all week with some super fun centers!
      We made 100 Day Cupcakes and Gumball Machines....
Our gumball machines will be part of a later math lesson. The kids each wrote a subtraction equation on the inside of their machines. Next week, the kids will trade with partners to see who can solve it using the "gumballs" and their subtraction skills :)

 We created pictures using the numbers 1, 0 and 0. This one was just too cute not to share....
We also counted kisses... each one is labeled with a number & they have to pull a kiss, and color in their 100 chart to match the color on the kiss. They keep going until the whole chart is full. Definitely time consuming, but the kids loved it & they all got kisses, too! :)

And cup-stacking....or building... or something. This is the kids' FAVORITE center, and they all can't wait to do it. They have to build ONE structure or something using all 100 cups.  I got this idea from Pinterest, and traced it back to Joyful Learning in KC..... HUGE success!
 It has been COLD... and I mean, COLD in the ATL this week.  Now, I know some of you don't want to hear me complain about 9 degrees this  morning, but for us southerners, that's like dropping us off in the Arctic Circle with a fleece throw and a hat. We just don't have the clothes... or the thick skin...for this stuff!
But I did get to wear my cute sweaters, boots, and coats that never get to leave the closet, so that made me happy.  I do love winter...but after all this cold weather, I'm ready for spring...
 My "ready for spring" attitude leads me to #4.... 
Beach Trip Booked!!!
Every year, my best girlfriends of almost 25 years and I take a long weekend and head to the beach. We all live in different places, and certainly live different lives, so it's one of the things I MOST look forward to every year... and it's booked !!!  Bring on the Florida Sun and Fun!!  The countdown begins...
  I am so excited about my #5.. I am on Scholastic.com!!!! :)
For those of you that have read my blog, you know that I am a member of the new teacher material website, Buy, Sell, Teach. Well, they have linked up with Scholastic & my product is on the splash page!
So exciting :)
http://www.scholastic.com/buysellteach/
 You can click the picture to see what Scholastic and Buy Sell Teach have to offer...
and if you are a seller, join up! :)
http://www.buysellteach.com/Product-Detail/1260/snowy-day-math-literacy-centers-common-core-aligned
My January/February Math & Literacy Centers are exclusive only to Buy Sell Teach, and you can check them out by clicking the above picture.... All Common Aligned, too!

Skills include:
1 - True/False Equations
2 - Time to the Hour and Half Hour
3 - Even and Odd with Even Steven and Odd Todd
4 - Nouns, Verbs, and Adjectives
5 - 4 Types of Sentences
6 - Homophones

So, that's it for me, friends!  It's my mom's birthday, so I'm heading to do a little visiting and celebrating with the family this weekend.  Oh, and some relaxing... NO alarm clock tomorrow, that's for sure. 

Is it just me, or are 4-day weeks even longer than the "normal" ones? :)

Have a happy weekend, and as always, thanks for stopping by!!


11 comments:

  1. Wooooo Hoooooo! Scholastic Baby!
    Happy, happy, happy weekend to you!
    ~Fern
    Fern Smith's Classroom Ideas!
    Fern Smith's Pinterest Boards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Fern... it is so exciting!!! Yay for you, too!! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you blogged about your 100th day! I saw the bubblegum activity on your instagram and knew I just had to do it! I have a candy themed classroom and today was our 100th day so it was perfect. I just changed it up a little bit to meet our needs :) Thanks for the fabulous idea! My class absolutely loved it. I actually blogged about it in my Five For Friday too :)

    And congrats on that exciting Scholastic news! Awesome!

    Have a great weekend!
    Alisha
    Missing Tooth Grins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just LOVE your blog... so glad I found you (or you found me!). So cute :) Your bubble gum machines turned out perfect. I used to be scared of paint, but I try to work it in sometimes...in a very controlled way. I'm just a little OCD about it. haha :) Have a great weekend, too!

      Delete
  3. I am IN LOVE with the cupcakes! Our 100th Day is Monday and I am definitely doing those as well as the cups. Such a great spatial activity. What do you have them do after the structure is complete? Or does it take most of the allotted time to complete it? Thanks for sharing!
    #fcc1_pln

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just let them work on their structure for the allotted time, and that's it. Sometimes, I like to give them some free exploration stuff to do...especially on fun days like the 100th! :)

      Delete
  4. The 100th day cupcakes are adorable. Our 100th day is coming up soon! Reading your blog always makes me smile. I love your cute theme!

    Tanya
    A+ Firsties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet. Thanks so much !! :)

      Delete
  5. Please check out LIFTPackages.blogspot.com. It is a teacher exchange program in which you meet teachers and send packages. Please feel free to sign up and pass our name along!

    Thanks
    -LIFTPackages

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH SWEET KELLY!
    I am so proud of you!
    SCHOLASTIC Author! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)