Sunday, December 15, 2013

Kidnapped by Christmas... and a Fraction Freebie!

Yep, it's true, I have been kidnapped by Christmas...or at least it feels that way.
I think it's got to be that Thanksgiving came so late this year, but the Christmas holiday is coming WAY too fast, and my "to-do" list just keeps getting longer.

Until last night, I had no wrapped one single gift. So, I stayed up until 4:30 a.m. wrapping and I'm still not done. It's just craziness...

      Shopping...Christmas cards....crafts....
 oh, and then there was the dead car battery thanks to a valet who turned my automatic headlights ON....... the flat, I mean destroyed, tire due to a giant piece of metal in the road...and a flooded kitchen... and I feel like I've barely had time to breathe....

It's true folks, I've been kidnapped by Christmas, which means....

I haven't blogged in almost a (gasp!) month!

So, since I made a little headway in the wrapping department, I decided to show this little ole blog of mine some love & get on here. 

After finishing up our fun unit on 2D and 3D shapes, where we made our Shape Pizzas, we moved into a study of fractions....

In first grade, the focus is on halves and fourths, so to really put some hands-on practice into the mix, I found these little cans of play-doh at the Dollar Tree...and some plastic knives.
There's 8 tee-tiny little cans in this pack for $1 and they were the perfect size for making little balls for our fraction activity.

The kids just took out their playdoh & made a flat shape... *most made a circle*, and then we used our little knives to divide our shapes into EQUAL parts :)

Excuse the nastiness on the desks...needless to say, we have been doing a LOT of crafting & gluing lately, and some of my little friends are not so careful with the glue sticks... :)

Anyway, we continued this a few times, & then the kids made SOLID shapes to divide equally.

Super easy and CHEAP activity - $4 for the whole class & they got to keep their playdoh for more practice later and for a fun little prize for their hard work!

When we finished, the kids completed the first sheet in my packet of fraction practice...
Just simple worksheets to assess understanding, and they literally take maybe 5 minutes to complete..

You can grab the whole pack (5 worksheets) here for FREE....just because you stopped by despite the fact that I have been MIA forever! haha! Just click the picture :)
The last one in the pack (the one shown on top) is a cut and paste. The kids divide the paper into 3 sections, cut out & paste the headers and then sort and glue the shapes to show they can identify 
halves, fourths and wholes.

Lastly, we made our annual Gingerbread Ornaments....
I know a lot of folks make the ones where they bake them, and all that, but we make the simple ones...
the ones that are quick and easy..
two words that are music to my ears this time of year!

They are NOT edible, despite every single kid asking to eat one.

But, they are cute.

All you need is ONE GIANT bottle of applesauce.
6-7 containers of cinnamon. This size.
 Wax paper
Cookie Cutter.
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. 
Roll it out on wax paper - you may need to sprinkle a little water in there to get it to the right consistency - and then have the kids come and cut them out.

I  use a straw to punch the hole out to hang the ornament. 
If you wait, you can't do it.
Then, stick pony beads or anything in for the buttons, and you're done!

Let dry for about 4 days and they're ready to go! 
Cute & Easy :)

So, that's it for me, friends....
    That wrapping paper is calling my name..AND I haven't even addressed one Christmas card,. Oh, and work tomorrow... can't forget that important little thing :)

Hope everyone is doing wonderfully and LOVING the Christmas season. Even though I feel like I've been taken hostage, I honestly wouldn't change it for the world.

I love Christmas...every single thing...even the madness....
   It really IS the most wonderful time of the year :)

Much love to you all !


  1. I agree! Christmas seems like it came up so quickly. I fortunately have all my shopping pretty much complete! Yay! Also, thanks for the freebie. I can't wait to use it during my probability unit.

    -Jeremy @ Mr. Michelbook's Classroom

    1. Hello meen, I've been following your blog for almost 6 months now without leaving any comment so I decided to quickly say hi today, just so you know you've got a fan somewhere. LOL. Your blog makes sense to me just like, another similarly interesting blog that I'm also a fan of.

      Keep it up.

  2. Kelly, you're not the only one! There just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to get everything done. I struggle with blogging once a week! So sorry to hear about all that you've had going on. Hope things start to improve. Thanks for the freebie! It's fantastic. Love the activity too! Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

    An Apple a Day in First Grade

  3. Love the fraction activities and the freebies! They will be great for when we get to our fraction unit! Thanks!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies


I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)