Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Take Me Back Tuesday - Even Street & Odd Avenue


The fabulous Hope King at Second Grade Shenanigans is hosting an awesome "Take Me Back Tuesday" linky & I just had to join in. I can't tell you how many times I've gone back through my blog to remind myself of activities we have done for certain standards. It's like my own little memory album! 
http://www.bloglovin.com/frame?post=1927373321&group=0&frame_type=a&blog=2763565&link=aHR0cDovL2ZhYnVsb3VzaW5maXJzdC5ibG9nc3BvdC5jb20vMjAxMy8xMS90YWtlLW1lLWJhY2stdHVlc2RheS5odG1s&frame=1&click=0&user=0


And now that Hope has created this linky, we can get a little glimpse into all of our favorite blogger's best memories, too. I just LOVE finding new ideas, and revisiting ones I have been meaning to do!

So, here's a blast from the past.... Originally posted 3/18/13.  Our curriculum map changed this year, so instead of working on place value with even and odd in the spring, we have been working on it this month. This post reminded me of a great activity for reviewing and bringing this all together.... Here you go!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

...We have been working on place value & even/odd numbers. I found the cutest activity on Pinterest.  Thanks to Tiffany at The Lemonade Stand for the awesome inspiration :)

We have been working with hundreds, tens and ones & counting to 120 using our base ten blocks.

We read The True Story of the Three Little Pigs ( I LOVE when I can incorporate literature into math!!)
We talked about the strongest and weakest houses & compared them.  Then, we used manipulatives (base ten blocks) to make our own houses...to withstand the powerful sneeze of the Big Bad Wolf!
Next, we used paper versions of our base ten blocks to create our houses..  I gave them 1 rule: They could not use more than NINE of any one type of block.

I think they turned out awesome!


Then, we figured out our "address"... using the number of hundreds, tens & ones it took to build the house. 
They wrote it on a sticky & then on a label for their house.




The kiddos LOVED this!!  They kept talking about THEIR house wouldn't blow down :)

So, today, we moved into our study of Odd & Even.  We read Even Steven and Odd Todd & sorted our numbers...



The kids then had to highlight their "address" to indicate even or odd.
Lastly, we created Odd Street & Even Avenue in our hallway.  Too cute!

In hindsight, I really should have put these in numerical order (and will probably do that tomorrow), but for now, I think it turned out great. The kids loved every minute of it & were even telling people in the hallway to come check out our "neighborhood". haha :)

We finished up our math lesson today with a cut & paste for Odd Todd & Even Steven...
This, along with the Odd Todd & Even Steven posters... AND a sorting math center...can be found in my Even & Odd pack on TpT :) Just click the picture to go & get it !!


As always, thanks for stopping by & I hope you had a great Monday day! I thought I'dleavee you with a little funny, so here's today's favorite...
Hee hee! Ain't it the truth?? ;) But, I keep telling myself that NEXT Monday, I don't have to set an alarm or anything...Ahhhh.. I'm ready for the break :)

Have a good one, folks :)




5 comments:

  1. There is a video on You Tube called Odd Todd & Even Steven which is kinda fun for the kids to watch. I do not have the book so I will have to check that out. Thanks for sharing your ideas. Jackie jmcamanam@w-sioux.k12.ia.us

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)