Monday, November 18, 2013

Math Monday Linky - Shape Pizzas, a FREEBIE & a Sale !


Happy Monday, Friends !
   Can you believe we're already coming up on the end of November?  We are out for the whole week for Thanksgiving, and it dawned on me today that when we get back... it will be December.... WHat?!!?!   Everything just keeps creeping up on me this year!

   I have to admit, I did decorate my house for Christmas this weekend. Yep, right down to the tiniest ornament on the tree. 

  Mind you, I only decorated the INside... I decided it was best to keep crazy in the house, and not advertise my way-too-early decorating on the outside until after Thanksgiving. haha!

  Anyway, today I'm linking up with A Burst of First for her Math Monday Linky...
http://www.bloglovin.com/frame?post=1918475663&group=0&frame_type=a&blog=5294851&link=aHR0cDovL2ZpcnN0Z3JhZGVidWRkaWVzMi5ibG9nc3BvdC5jb20vMjAxMy8xMS9tYXRoLW1vbmRheS1saW5reS0xMTE4MTMuaHRtbA&frame=1&click=0&user=0

If you've been reading my blog, we have been working on even and odd numbers. We've also been building numbers and identifying the "biggest" and the "smallest" numbers we can create.

We did this little activity last week & my kids really enjoyed it. Plus, it was a great way to assess a little mathematical literacy with number sense. Score!
 The kids each get a stack of number cards , 0 - 9. 
They lay them flat down on their desk and pull two random cards.
 Then, they have to record the two numbers, the smallest number they can make with those cards,and the largest number they can make.
 And, since we've been working on even & odd, the kiddos had to identify if their "biggest" number was even or odd!
https://sites.google.com/site/thefirstgradefairytales/Number%20Builders.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1
Most of us have number cards lying around somewhere, so it was a perfect little activity to wrap up on number unit.  Click the above picture if you'd like to grab this FREEBIE :)

And now... THIS week....
  We are diving into shapes!  I gave a pre-test to see just how much my kiddos knew about flat or 2D shapes, and I was super happy to find out that most of them really KNEW their shapes. Yay for K teachers!
So, we made shape pizzas...
 I gave out the "toppings" to each table, and each kid just picked how many of each they wanted. 
I wanted each of the pizzas to be unique, so this was perfect for that.
After making the pizza, they had to record how many of each shape they used.
I reminded them that the pizza itself (the crust) was a circle, too!
FUN FUN!
 Then, I worked with the kids on this matching center.  There are 8 pizzas with varying toppings, and my firsties had to match the pizza to the correct description.
 It was definitely challenging, and I worked with my lower babies to assist them in making matches.
 My higher group had a great time working on this independently.
 All of this is included in my newest TpT pack - Shape Pizzas!

Included are all the templates to make the pizzas, the matching center with recording sheets, and 3 additional practice worksheets. 

You can download the preview to check it all out in action!
Just click the picture or right <HERE>!

Lastly...
 My November Guided Math centers are on sale for 25% off !!  Looking for something to do with your kids for this last stretch before the holiday?  Check it out! :)
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/November-Guided-Math-Centers-954078

8 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the number builders freebie. Also, that shape pizza looks "yummy" and fun. We are about to start out shapes unit, so I'm glad you shared this now. Perfect timing.

    Becky
    Compassionate Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Shape Pizzas! This would be such a fun activity to add a bar graph to. Students could record their shapes and then graph the totals.

    Marcy
    Searching for Teacher Balance
    BTW- I found your fabulous blog through The Math Monday linky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do geometry in January. I am for sure doing this! Thanks so much for linking up!
    Deirdre
    A Burst of First

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shape pizza is a great lead in idea for shapes and fractions. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a student teacher in a kindergaten classroom. Thanks for sharing as I am using several of your fantastic ideas in my classroom these next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. With regards to basic mathematics terminologies there are the best evident ideas given and are almost forming the best understanding which will give good view to the students to think over. personal statement checker

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)