Friday, November 22, 2013

Five for Friday & December Homework

Hallelujah!  Hallelujah!
The clouds have parted and the the angels are singing - it's officially Thanksgiving Break!!
Woo hoo!!! :)

We had such a crazy, fun and super fast week, but I am so stinkin' excited that we are out of school for a week!  But, can it be true that when we go back it will be December??  Holy moly, this year is just flying by!

It's been a while since I've linked up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday, but since I'm in the mood for celebrating...and because we've really done some fun stuff this week... I just had to join in the fun!

Okay, let's get this party started!! ! :)

 Contraction Pop!!!
I got this FABULOUS idea from Heather at Heather's Heart.

We have been studying contractions, and when I found this, I just KNEW my kiddos would love it. The song we sing tells us that the contractions POP out!

So, I blew up 22 balloons...each one labeled with two words on the outside, and the contraction rolled up on the inside. The kids took turns sitting...jumping...bouncing...on the balloons to make the contraction 
So much fun!!  The kids were laughing & having a blast. And the best part?
They got it!! 
And it was my formal observation (eek!), but it all turned out well :)
 Shape Pizzas!!!
Our math focus this week has been on flat, 2D shapes. 
Our culminating activity was to make Shape Pizzas!

We had just read Turkey Trouble, where the turkey dresses up like a pizza delivery guy at the end of the story to avoid getting eaten for Thanksgiving dinner. So, we decided we needed to make pizzas for Mr. Turkey to deliver to the farmers! :)

You can read the original post about this fun activity <HERE>.
 Pigeons or Turkeys?  The perfect disguise!
This idea comes from Linda at Around the Kampfire.
She has the cutest packet on TpT that includes all kinds of awesome writing activities for this.

We already had been working on the pigeon books with our 4 Sentences Unit (the original blog post last year about this unit can be found <here>)

So, this was a perfect way to bring it all together - pigeons AND turkeys!

We talked about different disguises for Mr. Turkey, and decided that a pigeon would be a PERFECT disguise. I mean, who eats a pigeon for Thanksgiving dinner?

So, we took our pigeons from our sentences study & made them into turkeys!! 
Hilarious!!! :)

 Thanksgiving Celebrations!!
 Today was our big Thanksgiving Celebration!  In lieu of our traditional feast, we decided to stick with a simple snack. One of my WONDERFUL parents made these SUPER cute cornucopias out of waffle cones & we filled them with runts ('cause they look like fruit!), and some corn chex, m&m's ('cause you gotta have chocolate!), and juice boxes. How cute is this?!?!  

I'm definitely thankful for amazing parents....and for Pinterest!! :)
Then, we had our annual performance with the Kindergarten. 

The K students dress up like Native Americans, & we represent the Pilgrims.
Each group sings 4 songs, and it was just absolutely precious.
And yes, these ARE the CUTEST pilgrims in the world!  

They did such an amazing job, too. I wish you could see their sweet faces, but it was just a fun, sweet day for everyone. And, the kids always get a kick out of their "costumes"...i.e. construction paper hats and collars.  The little bonnets always get me :)
 December Homework is UP and EARLY....well maybe.... too!!!
I worked on my new December homework packet all week, so I could TRY and get it up in time for everyone. I'm a day late because I had really wanted to get it posted yesterday before most (??) of us got out for the break, but I did get it up today!  

It's the 5th monthly set, and the reviews have been so kind.
I am HUGELY thankful to all of you for previewing, downloading, purchasing, and leaving such sweet words of encouragement. I hope you enjoy this month's set.

If you haven't checked this out, it includes homework for all four weeks of December...with 4 nights for each week PLUS a reading comprehension passage for each week, too. And, it's all Common Core aligned.

You can download the preview at TpT & it comes with a free week's worth of homework so you can see what you think!

So, that's it, Five for FRIDAY!!!

As always, thanks so much for stopping by.
I also want to take the time to say a big THANK YOU to all of you....

....for following this little ole' blog of mine
....for being amazing friends and colleagues that I learn SO much from
...for EVERY single thing you do each and EVERY day for children
....and for just being YOU!

Happy Thanksgiving!!! 
(a little early, but hey, I'm in the spirit!)


  1. We completely agree with you, this year is going by way to fast.. someone needs to pump the breaks =) Love the cute cornucopia snack!
    We just started a blog and would love if you'd check it out. We just posted a bunch of freebies and are having a giveaway =)

  2. The cornucopia is so cute! What a fun week. Have a great Thanksgiving!

    K-3 Connection

  3. You have a busy but awesome week! Love the pigeons! :)

    Mrs. Thigpen's Kindergarten

    1. You have HAD a busy week! LOL (apparently I so have I seeing as I can't remember how to form a sentence properly! LOL)

  4. I love your turkey pigeons!!! The Pigeon books are my all time fave kid books and I always live finding new ways to use them in class!

  5. What a fun feast! I'm loving that contraction idea! thanks for sharing!
    Short and Sassy Teacher

  6. What a neat idea for a simple snack! I love the cornucopias. And good thing the observation went well.

    Enchanted Kinder Garden

  7. Hi, Kelly!
    I LOVE the pigeon turkeys! I am your newest follower! Can't wait to see more!

    A+ Classroom Creations


I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)