Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A Hodgepodge of October Crazy


Wow, what a crazy week...and it's only Tuesday!!
I love Halloween, and all the fun stuff that goes along with it, but teaching during this time is EXHAUSTING!  And again, it's only Tuesday. 

Friday is the real day of crazy -
  the day after Halloween...
     the day after trick-or-treating...
        the day after all that candy...
            the day after little sleep...
               THE day....'Nuff said, right?!

But, as they say, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!  So, we have been up to our nose in fun learning activities to keep us busy.. and I just wanted to share some of our fun with you!

A little while back, I blogged about our Spider & Fly Addition Books...
The kids had so much fun adding with this awesome book that we just had to do a similar subtraction one. So, we read Pumpkin Town...
and then made our own Pumpkin Patch Subtraction books...
It turned out super cute & it was a great way to see who "got it" and who didn't :)

 If you'd like the Spider/Fly Addition books, click <HERE>. If you'd like the Pumpkin Patch Subtraction booklet, click <HERE>.  They're both free :)

Now, onto some spider studies!

   Unfortunately, I don't have all the pictures of the things we did, but we spent some time comparing fiction and nonfiction texts about spiders, and working on our informational writing. We also integrated our study of spiders into phonics with these fun little digraph spiders...

   And we also made SPIDER COOKIES!!!! 
 Just two Fudge Stripe cookies, some cake icing (cream cheese, of course!) and some red hots for eyes.
  They're messy, but so much fun!
 Yeah,  told you they were messy!!
The kids had a blast & what made it even better was my mom came to school & helped! Nothing better than that, right!?! :)


Some other fun....

We read Halloweiner...one of my all-time FAVORITE Halloween books...
If you haven't read it, it's about a "weiner dog" whose mom dresses him up like a hot dog for Halloween. The other dogs make fun of him, but in the end, he's the hero!  
The kids always get the biggest kick out of this book & I love it, too.

So, after reading that, we did this AWESOME writing activity I found on Pinterest & traced back to

The kids take a template of the teacher....a picture of the teacher...and write about what they want the teacher to be for Halloween.  

Hilarious!

 Check out my cape!!  I'm a superhero!
 And, apparently, I look like a cowgirl....
 A witch??  Some days, I guess....
Yeah, a devil.. because I look evil.
That's definitely worse than witch.

He later changed it to "because she WOULD look evil", but I'm not convinced. hmmmm.....

Aren't these hysterical???
So funny & so easy, too! I made my own template so we could use it as an opportunity to review nouns, verbs and adjectives, but I just LOVED the idea & turns  out, the kids thought it was great, too!!

Lastly, it's Red Ribbon Week & we're having a Door Decorating Contest.
We made vampire bats...

     The kids got those plastic little vampire teeth, and I took their picture wearing them....making their scariest faces.
     Then, I printed out the pictures & put them in the center of our bats.  They are SO cute...I LOVE them.

Then, my room parent came & helped me make this awesome door & hallway display. She really went above and beyond & I am in LOVE.  
Judging is tomorrow...Fingers crossed !
But, win or lose, the kids absolutely LOVE seeing their own faces on our door...and the scary faces are just plain funny!

So, that's just a little dose of our crazy in first grade... but hey, what's good learning without a little crazy to spice it up?! ha! :)

I hope you're all having a fun week, too, and I'm sending up some happy vibes & prayers for a safe Halloween for all the kiddos & a calm and good day for all the teachers on Friday!

Oh, and last thing..
    For those of you that have been asking about the next installment of my Common Core Homework packs... November is UP! 
    AND, it also includes reading comprehension passages for each week, too. That's a new addition & I hope you all like it.
  

Just click the picture to check it out & there's a week's worth of pages for you to try in the preview :)

I appreciate ALL of the sweet & helpful feedback from the past couple of months. I promise to keep making them, for sure!

Allright, NOW I'll hush... Have a great weekend and a HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Love the batty door!! Too cute. Great idea having your kids write about you and your costume for Halloween. I'm not sure I'd want to ask mine what they'd want me to be! ;)

    Nicki
    Mrs. Thigpen's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the subtraction pumpkin book. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for review, it was excellent and very informative.
    thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly, Love it! I like the way you adapted the "what the teacher will be on Halloween". I'm posting about what my third graders think of me tomorrow. I loved the idea.
    Mrs. Brown Loves Bookworms

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)