Sunday, September 8, 2013

Number Line Goodness - and A Very Pinteresting FREEBIE! :)


Happy Sunday, Friends !
    We are heading into our sixth week of school (what, what?!) and things are finally settling into a routine. YAY!  I love it when it all starts falling into place.  The beginning of the year is always exciting, but Lord knows it's exhausting, too.  This week, we FINALLY got our Guided Reading groups & centers working, and I am just so thankful. How's your year coming along??? :)


Okay, I've been known to be a wee bit addicted to Pinterest. But, I'll admit, my love for it has weakened just a tad because I'm convinced it's just because I felt like I made it to the end... the end of Pinterest and all its fabulous ideas...

....but lately, I've been back on looking for new math ideas and things to do in my room  with this new and challenging batch of firsties.  I needed some inspiration.

So, when I found this idea from Mrs. T's First Grade Class, my Pinterest love cup overfloweth...it was the best idea I'd seen in forever, and when we did it in class, the kids LOVED it!

Enter.... the Number Line Slider Baggie:

My kiddos really need lots of hands-on practice with math, and when I saw this idea, I just knew it would be great for them. 

I got a bunch of slider baggies, and wrote number lines on them to 10.  Then, I went ahead and made 5 cards to go in each bag to have the kids work with as they practiced.

 The kids put the "slider" on the starting number, and SLID up the number line how ever many spaces needed to solve the problem.

They had a blast doing it,and it helped them understand how to use a number line to 
solve addition problems. 

Then, I gave them each notecards (about 5 per student), and had them write their own problems. We switched number line baggies, and tried solving new and different problems. :)

Lastly, they did some paper & pencil practice...
You can click the above picture for the number line FREEBIE... :)

A big thanks to Mrs. T for the great idea!!  

Keeping it short today - there are sight word rings calling my name!
This year, they have changed our sight word standard from 220 words to 600! for first grade, which is A LOT of words... A LOT!

I've always made sight word rings for my kids, but going to 600 will be a whole new undertaking..time to get crackin' on them.  :)

How many words do your kids have to learn??  Any fabulous strategies for teaching them? PLEASE share... I'd love to hear all about it !! 

Have a happy rest of your weekend & an awesome week ! :)


8 comments:

  1. A neat idea to help kiddos learn to count on! Thanks for sharing!!
    Brooke
    Tales from a Fourth Grade MathNut

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen those slider bag math things on Pinterest and thought they were great. I love the paper that you made to go with it. Thanks!!

    Brenda
    You Might Be a First Grader….

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an amazing idea. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting on my Currently post! And thank you for becoming a member!!! I am the newest member of your blog as well. It is so adorable!!! And I too, am addicted to Pinterest! If one only had time to actually go back and make or do all the things they pin!!

    Have a great year! I'm so glad I'm your newest follower! :)
    Lindsey
    Mrs. Johnson's Little Prowlers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I realized I'm already following you on Instagram! Can't believe I wasn't following your blog sooner! :)

      Delete
  5. Love this! Never seen the bags before! Thanks for the freebie, too!

    Megan
    Mrs. Wheeler’s First Grade
    Mrs. Wheeler TpT

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome idea!! I love this! My kiddos need lots of practice with this is well - I will definitely be stealing this idea. Thanks! :)
    Sara
    Primary Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  7. 600 is a lot. A realistic goal is 200.

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)