Friday, September 13, 2013

Five for Friday & An Apple FREEBIE!

We successfully completed week 6 of this school year, and it's hard to believe time is flying by so fast. I keep reading about everyone getting ready for their fall breaks, and I admit, I'm just a wee bit jealous. This year, we went back to our "normal " school year calendar, which means no week long fall break. We do get a Friday and Monday in October, so I am happy about that.. Now, if only the weather would reflect the fact that fall is just a week away.......

Anyhoo...time for Five for Friday, and a little peak into our week!

Well, my week started off with a visit to the minute clinic.  I should tell you I am NOT one to go to the doctor.. I avoid it at all costs, but Friday night, MB told me my face looked like I had been beat up in the parking lot, and I just couldn't breathe, so during Saturday FunDay Football, I finally gave in and went to the Minute Clinic to see what was wrong...

2 hours, 4 prescriptions & a diagnosis of a double ear infection, sinus infection and bronchitis later, I was finally on my way home to curl up on the couch and enjoy my favorite day of the week...and some awesome football  :)  Plus, sweet MB brought me roses to cheer me up. Love him!

Sight words.... ahh...sight words.
Since I had to take Monday off, I dedicated my time to making differentiated sight word rings for all my kiddies. 22 rings later...all with different words...color coded to match their list...we had success! YAY!

This year, they changed our standard in first grade from 220 to 600, so we're really working hard to master all of these words.  The best part???  I tested again today, and some of them had already learned their WHOLE ring in three nights!!  Woo hoo!!!

This summer, my team & I did a lot of reflection on our math instruction. Our scores have come up, but we felt like we were still missing something. So, we went back and realized we didn't do ENOUGH with ten frames and building numbers last year. This year?  Oh yeah, we're knee deep in ten frame activities & the kids are loving it!!

This week, we've been studying Johnny Appleseed, so we've been integrating apples into EVERYTHING!!  We did this super fun activity with building numbers to 10 using apple jacks....

We built numbers, created equations, and then we got to eat our treats!! Yummo! :)

If you'd like a copy of this activity, click <here> for the FREEBIE :)

We've also been doing a lot of subitizing!  I had done it in years past with my Kinders (YEARS ago!), but I hadn't really focused a lot on in first. We have been doing it since the beginning of the year,and I'm amazed of how effective it's been at increasing my firstie's number sense...
I found these awesome PowerPoints that I've been putting up on the Promethean Board everyday (takes literally 5 minutes out of my whole day), and it's been awesome. You can check them out here at Mrs. Young Math Coach.

Today was APPLE FEST DAY!!!!!
We have been studying Johnny Appleseed & apples for two weeks, so the culmination of all our hard work was a super fun Apple Fest!
 Look at all these goodies!!!  We had apple cider...all kinds of different apples with dips....and even...
 Apple Soda??  Have you ever had this stuff??  My kids loved it...and they thought the little shot glasses were so cool. I thought they were kinda funny, but perfect for just a little taste of something new :)

 Parents were so generous in sending in all this yummi-ness, and the kids thought it was just too cool.

They got a little taste of it all, and watched the little Johnny Appleseed Disney video while we ate.

So that's it for me... a great week, and an even better FRIDAY!
Now, if all this medicine will finally do its thing, and get the crud out of my head, we'll be good to go :)

Oh, and before I go... I don't know if you've seen this new Kid President video, but it's fabulous...
take some time to watch it, and remember just how AWESOME you are!

Have a happy, happy, happy weekend &, as always, thanks for stopping by! :)


  1. Looks like you had a super week! Thank you for the apple freebie! Sorry you were under the weather earlier!
    Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

  2. I love the apple party idea!! I'm adding it to my list!
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

  3. Love the subitizing power points! Thanks for finding them! :)

    Primary Buzz

  4. Love that party! I hope you're feeling better!

    Learning With Mrs. Leeby

  5. Love Kid President! My principal shared it with us last year. Teaching with Giggles

  6. Getting ready for Johnny Appleseed and Apple Week myself! Thanks so much for Apple Jack Ten Frame Activity!!


  7. Thanks so much, Kelley! I LOVE Kid President. I showed the Pep Talk to my firsties yesterday. We are going to make the 1 2 5 (our room #) AWESOME this year!!!

  8. Found your post on FIve for Friday. Following! Smiles, Jayne
    Smart Kids
    ABCs of Reading

    P.S. I'm in Macon. :)

  9. Love the Apple Jacks ten frames!!! And I am SO JEALOUS of your apple fast day!! :)

    Have a great weekend!
    A Sunny Day in First Grade

  10. Hi Friend! So sorry to hear you were so sick! Hope you are on an upward trend to getting healthy!

    An apple-tastic post, cutie pie!!!

    Smiles - Lisa
    Growing Firsties


I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)