Sunday, August 25, 2013

Five for Friday...errr...Sunday & September Homework!

I'm late... I'm late...
   That seems to be the theme for the last two weeks. I have been ON time to work, which is a good thing, but I just feel like I'm still working behind the clock.

   We have been in school for two and a half weeks, and I just keep trying to catch up. I FINALLY feel like I'm getting there, but wow.  Does anyone else feel that way the first few weeks of school??

   Anyway, I'm here.... finally....and linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for her Five for Friday linky, albeit on a Sunday, but still.. 

So, here's my five randoms from my week...

1)  The snotty-bug has bitten me early this year...
We have already gone through TWO boxes of tissues... TWO!  I've never gotten sick this early on in the school year, and I'm starting to question the strength of my SuperDuperTeacherImmunity. It has failed me, and this, my friends, was what my weekend had in store for me.  Fun fun!

2)  My sweet niece was crowned Little Miss!

My niece and nephew live over a thousand miles away, which makes me sad. I only get to see them once or twice a year, but we keep in touch with pictures. Last night, my sweet niece was crowned Little Miss in her town, and today, she got to ride on her first float in her first big parade. Such a proud aunt !! :)

3) I WON AN iPAD MINI!!!
   


I know I shared a while back that I had joined up with BuySellTeach... a new market for teachers to buy and sell their products. Well.... I was automatically entered into their August giveaway...and I WON!! An iPad mini!!  Can you believe it???  I don't even own an iPhone (next on my "to do" list), so I don't even know how to work it, but I am so super excited, I can barely stand it.  It's in the mail, as we speak...Awesome huh?? This month's giveaway is for 3 $50 gift cards....head on over there to link up your stuff, or sign up to buy, and you're automatically entered!! :)

4) Testing...Testing...1,2,3
      We have been knee deep in testing for the last two weeks, and my team & I have had to come up with centers to keep the kids occupied.  We do AIMSweb testing, which is similar to DIBELS. There are 8 individual tests for each kid, and it has to be done on the computer. Which means the rest of the children are left to their own devices. So....  we tried to come up with some fun things that are educational, time consuming, and able to be completed INDEPENDENTLY!!  Wow, that's a hard thing to accomplish with newbie first graders.

     Anyway, my brilliant teammate came up with Cut Apart Spelling...


The children take each spelling word and color it a different color or pattern.
This helps them identify each of the letters that go together to make a word.

Then, they cut them apart, and create their spelling words.

Lastly, they glue them down.

It's genius, I tell you...and the kids not only LOVE it, but have done an awesome job the last couple of weeks.

I've uploaded the first unit on TpT & you can go grab them for free right now..    Just click the picture.
The words are based on Reading Street spelling, but you could use them with any program because they are phonics based. Free for now :)

5) SEPTEMBER HOMEWORK!!!
     My September Homework packet is finally finished, and up on TpT!! Yay!!!

     I got such awesome feedback from the August packet,and I'm so excited to get the next one out there for everyone...

 This is what September looks like...
There are four FREEBIE sheets in the preview, so head on over & download to check it out! Just click the above picture to go to TpT:)

This month's Common Core skills are:

Nouns, Proper Nouns,  & Plurals

Verbs

Sentence Order & Complete Sentences

Capitalization and Punctuation

Long and Short Vowels

Number Order

120 Chart

Addition

Greater Than/Less Than

Skip Counting

Word Problems

Oh, and the first THREE people to comment below? I'll send you the September homework for free.. Make sure you leave an email address, or make sure you're not a "no reply blogger". :)

 Also, I have had several people asking about a TENTATIVE plan for upcoming homework packets, so I put this together...
 Click the picture to view larger or download...
 
So, that's it for me, friends...
 Now that life is finally settling down.. I PROMISE to be better at blogging. :)

I hope everyone has had a wonderful week, and this one is even better. Love to all and, as always, thanks for stopping by!!

11 comments:

  1. The homework packs look amazing!

    Ashley
    K-3 Connection
    k3connection@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been very busy! The homework pack looks fabulous! Have a wonderful week!

    thepolishedteacher@gmail.com
    ThePolishedTeacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. This packet looks great!!

    rmdirk@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I missed it! Thanks for sharing your spelling packet! I'm getting ready to start AIMS testing very soon and NEED something to keep my kiddos busy. This will be great to use!

    Karen
    An Apple a Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great packet!!!! I would sure love a copy.
    It seem you are getting yourself well organized, have an awesome school year.

    Thanks and take care

    foxysexyroxy10@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so jealous about the iPad Mini!!!!! I want!!! About to order an Ipad for myself through our computer buy program at school. Can't wait to get it! I've had one through school for the past couple of years but have to give it back and reapply through ESOL and would rather just get my own. Hope you are feeling better, and as you know, I think everything you do it FABULOUS!! Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad I am not the only one who feels behind the clock already!

    I hope that you are feeling better!

    Jenny
    Suntans and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  8. CONGRATULATIONS, Kelly!!!!! I am SO happy for you with your big win!!!! (And...a tad jelly...but you're so awesome it's just a wee tad jelly...the rest is happy, happy, happy!)

    Your homework pack looks FabTacular!

    Get well, friend!!!
    Growing Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on winning a mini iPad!! So exciting!
    I still have a few assessments to get through and they need to be done by Friday! I'm printing off the spelling activities NOW! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought your September packet and I love it. I am excited for the October packet to be released :)

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)