Friday, July 26, 2013

Throwback FRIDAY - Parent Handbooks Tutorial


Friday! Friday! Friday!
  WAIT..it's summer...EVERY day is Friday..or whatever day you want it to be!  Just 5 more days for me...so I'm gonna love up on some Friday, for sure! :)

So, I'm a little late for Throwback Thursday, so we'll call this Throwback Friday. 
   My parent handbook has gotten the single most pins on Pinterest, and I get a lot of emails for a template.

I don't have a template because, truth be told,  they are hand-made with some old school scissors and tape.
My first year teaching, I worked with a lady that had been making these for 30 years. She showed me how to do it, and I've been making them ever since. It's just some old school cut and paste, but parents really LOVE them every year! 

So, I decided to create a little tutorial so y'all can make them for yourselves :)

There are 10 steps, so bunches of pictures to come.... you've been warned!

HERE is the link to the PowerPoint with the defined boxes already made for you. It's not a PDF so you can use it as a template to make your own book/content. There are no "cute" fonts or anything, but I've provided you with the boxes to fit the pages.










And there you have it... . A Back to School Parent Handbook, customized JUST the way you want it ! :)I put these out on Open House night & then send them home on the first day with the kids who weren't able to make it. It explains EVERYTHING about our classroom, provides parents with contact information, and alleviates a lot of questions.  I love it, and the parents do, too!

I hope I have answered your questions about how to make these & it all makes sense. Thanks to Khrys for letting me use her handbook creation for the tutorial....and her SUPER cute KB fonts! If you'd like to check out these fonts, you can get them at her TpT store here.

     If you have any more questions, please feel free to email me!

Also, if you'd like a PDF of this tutorial to print, click HERE!

Happy Weekend, friends.....


16 comments:

  1. This is fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing! I might give this a try now!

    Karen

    An Apple a Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. IM love this! Thanks for sharing!
    Alexa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Now I need to get busy and make one for my parents.

    Shelly
    Smiling and Shining in Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing. I'd love to see what you have written on the inside! Any chance you can share with us?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank for the great tutorial AND for the shared document! I can't wait to make these this year! Oh, and I love your glam scissors. Ooo-la-la!
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this! I cant seem to download the powerpoint for some reason :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you, Kelly! From the first picture, it looks daunting but your awesome tutorial makes it manageable! I guess I know what I'll be doing next week :)

    Molly
    Lucky to Be in First

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kelly! I LOVE your Parent Handbook! I usually send home a boring Back to School packet of information, but your handbook is way cuter! Thanks for the tutorial. I'm your newest follower!

    Susie
    Shafer's Shenanigans 

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kelly! LOVE your blog and this tutorial! I am so glad I found you! Thank you for sharing how you made this. I'm your newest follower!
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE THIS! I made mine tonight and posted a pic of it on instagram (kranda). Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful! I was a little 'scared' but I think I have wrapped my mind around this :) One question...Do you staple them or leave them folded? Thanks for sharing! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made these for my parents this year. I just wrote a post about it (http://the-room-mom.com/2013/09/02/class-notes/) and added a link back to your site with the template and directions. For the handbook I gave my parents, I used magnet tape and added a magnet strip to the back of the flipbook, so parents could hang the handbook on their refrigerator at home. I'm hoping it will help reduce classroom policy questions this year. Thank you so much for sharing! Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is terrific and your directions were fantastic! I can't wait for Back to School Night to show these off! Thanks for making me look amazing to the parents!!!

    Michelle in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kelly I've seen these and LOVE them!! Thank you for sharing. I plan on using these this school year! So cute and informative. Right up my alley! I love your new blog design!! Happy Summer!

    ((HUGS))
    Tiffany
    One Fab Teacher

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)