Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Monday Made It...A Day Late & a Dollar Short

It's crunch time, friends...  tomorrow is my first official day back at work.
The kids come back next week, so I have some time to get some stuff done, but I'm starting to believe there's simply NOT enough time in the day to get it all done.

I FINALLY got into my classroom for the first time yesterday...and boy, it's a mess! We worked til a little after 5, and when I left, I wasn't sure I had gotten anything done. Does anyone else ever feel that way, or is it just me? So, I came home & worked on finishing up some Monday Made Its. 

 Yeah, I'm a day late... and I'm always a dollar short, especially with my excessive school supply shopping lately... eeek!

If you follow me on Instagram (and I would LOVE it if you would), you've already seen some of this, but I still had to share! :)  I love linking up with 4th Grade Frolics..so here we go!

#1 -  "The" filing cabinet is DONE!!  Woo hoo!!
Doesn't it look awesome??? MB came up to school and did all the contact-papering for me. I'm a pretty lucky gal :)  I ordered the contact paper back at the beginning of June, but couldn't get into school to get it done. But, now... finito.... I absolutely LOVE it ! It turned out even better than I had hoped!

#2 Prize Spinner...
   A few weeks ago, with one of the favorite pins linky parties, I posted this...
I showed it to Dear Ole' Dad, and now I have this....

You can get the original tutorial *here*, but basically it's a lazy susan from Ikea... painted black. Then, we taped it off with Frog Tape, and I painted grey chalkboard paint over the top. (the black looks like electrical tape in this picture, but it's really painted lines).  Then, took a regular board, covered in chevron contact paper (left over from the file cabinet redo), then used some handy-dandy E6000 glue & stuck the wheel to the board.

There are little dowels in each triangle, and a zip-tie at the bottom right, so when you spin the wheel, it makes that "tikka tikka tikka " sound like the big prize wheels at the fair make!

The original version used nails, but I was afraid of the nails coming out, so we just glued those little dowels in the lazy susan instead.

So, now I have to come up with ideas of how I am going to use it.  I was thinking the kids who move their "clip" to "above and beyond behavior" could spin it to choose their prize ... 
    OR when our warm fuzzy jar fills up, we can spin it to choose our reward...
        OR brain breaks.

AHHH... The possibilities are endless but I really don't know what to do. I used the chalkboard paint so I could change my mind, but if you have ANY suggestions, please share!! :)

Monday Made It for the Home...
  If you haven't figured out yet, I do love me some chevron.  Home, school... I don't care. Just love it. 
  So, I needed something to go on my newly painted bedroom wall, and I saw something similar on Pinterest. Just bought the frame and a plain letter at Hobby Lobby (Hello! 50% off!), then covered the letter in the same paper. Now I"ve just got to get it on the wall.  This makes my heart happy!

   Well, that's about it for me & my "Made It's".  Everything else I've been working on has consisted of printing, cutting, laminating, and cutting again.  I've got some more projects up my sleeve, but right now, I gotta get all this school stuff done.

    Today.. you know, the last full day of summer... was spent in downtown Atlanta traffic & at a Dr's appt. Good times!!  So, back to work I go !!  When do YOU go back to school?? 

OH!!  Before I go.... have you heard about the SLANT box??
  Jameson at Lessons with Coffee had this great idea and, along with Mrs. Price as Mrs Price's Kindergators, we came up with this cute flyer to promote the SLANT Box!! 

  You can read all about it at Jameson's blog (link above), but basically you sign up & you will be paired with someone else... You fill a box with goodies, and then you get to receive a box of goodies every single month. You have to sign up by the 3rd to do it this month, so head over there and sign up. How much fun, right??!?!!!   I know I'm excited... I mean, who doesn't love getting some good ole fashioned REAL mail full of good stuff?!  Every month will have a theme, and you can read all the rules and stuff on Jameson's blog. Just had to share. The more, the merrier!!

Allright, gotta get to work.....As always, thanks for stopping by! :)


  1. So glad I found out about the Slant Box from your post! Cute and fun idea!

    :) Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

  2. Your filing cabinet really did turn out great! It looks so nice!

    Flamingos and Butterflies

  3. Love the filing cabinet and all of the other chevron goodies!! Good luck tomorrow! :)

    Mrs. Thigpen's Kindergarten

  4. Love all your made-its! You made the filing cabinet look amazing! And what a neat idea with the spinner! Seriously awesome :)


  5. I LOVE your filing cabinet Kelly - you are so creative!

  6. Your filing cabinet is gorgeous Kelly!! :)

  7. I've been obsessed with chevron lately so I love all of this - especially the wheel. That's ingeneous!

    Anisa @ Creative Undertakings

  8. I'm so relieved that someone else is always a day late and a dollar short (my favorite saying!). Your filing cabinet is adorable!

    We don't head back to school until August 20th, and I am savoring every last minute that I have!

    Good luck getting everything finished...it always gets done somehow!

    Shafer's Shenanigans 

  9. Love, love, love your filing cabinet! Mine is in serious need of a makeover. May be borrowing your contact paper idea. Teaching with Giggles

  10. The feeling of working but accomplishing nothing...that is my life right now! :) I love your filing cabinet. It is precious, Kelly!

    The Brown-Bag Teacher


I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)