Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Ten Pin Linky - Math Awesomeness!

Thanks to everyone who is following on Bloglovin' ! I'm still waiting (anxiously) to see if that magic little Google number goes away on July 1st. I know it's silly, but I've become quite attached and fond of the little guy. I had really hoped to hit 600 before "the switch"....hmmm... we'll see ! :)

Anyway, on to the FUN STUFF!!!  Just Reed is hosting her Tin Pin Linky again this week, and the focus is all about math!

I'll be honest, after about the 6th grade, math was not my favorite OR  my best subject. Taking the math part of the GRE was my own personal nightmare.. I think I was fine until math starting adding letters to the mix.. I was fine with numbers...and then math started looking like this...
But I do love TEACHING math... first grade math is so much fun & it really lays so much of the foundation, so I love love love math time in my room.

Time to link up with my Top Ten Math Pins!! :) As always, the original source can be found (if there is one) by clicking on the picture!

1.  Math Strategies....
 Perfect for those visual learners who need a reminder for how to use strategies. Love love love!

2.  Adding Fun!!
 Teaching first graders to concept of addition can be difficult & I think this is such a great idea! I also love that the kids are working together to figure out the sums. So cute!

3.  Another great math game...
 With beach balls being fully stocked at stores everywhere, I'm gonna go grab a few to make some math games. This would be great for addition or subtraction ( have the kids pick the biggest number to start with, of course), tens & ones...the possibilities are endless. PLUS, you can deflate them for easy storage. 
Yes, please :)

4.  GIANT hundreds charts! 
 My kids really struggle with the hundreds chart at the beginning of the year. I'm hoping more emphasis in our Kindergarten with Common Core will help that, but I just LOVE this idea of creating a giant version of one. What a great way to assess the kids at the beginning of the year AND to keep practicing all year long. Perfect-o!

5. Visuals for ten frames or tens & ones
 Just clever, I tell ya. This could be used for so many things... I just love the whole concept. AND, popsicle/craft sticks & paperclips are pretty darn easy to come by :)

6. PURE GENIUS!  Quiet Dice!
 A picture is worth a thousand words, right??  Can't you just hear...or NOT hear...these dice? 
What a fabulous way to quieten down the sound of those things AND keep them on the desk. 
Genius, I say!

7.  Cute, Crafty, and Totally Perfect!
 Just like beachballs, cute little sunglasses are easy to come by this time of year, and I just love this idea. The two sides of the sunglasses show two parts to a whole, and I think the kids will love it. Definitely on my "to do" list for back to school !

8.  Daily graphing!
 I think a lot of people have seen this one, but I can't wait to use it in my classroom With Guided Math, daily graphing is such an important component. This is such a simple way to change the daily (weekly) question, but without having to overhaul the whole graph. 

Plus those glitter clothespins I've been dying to make will be perfect! :)

9. Telling Time INTERACTIVE Bracelets...
 Don't you just love these??  The kids all put one on, and each get a recording sheet. They walk around the classroom and "ask" (nicely!) to see everyone's watch. They record the time on their sheet next to the child's name or number, and it's a great way (and a fun way!) to assess understanding of time. Could be done with hour, half hour, and or variation.  Plus, I think the kids will love making their own watches :)

10. Guess My Number!
 What a great way to improve number sense. I plan on incorporating this into our morning math mini-lesson every day...or during that short (6 minutes??) time between lunch and recess.  Super easy to make and could last all year. Would be great with higher numbers, too!

That's about it for me, friends... I can't wait to see all your pins, too!!
Head on over to Just Reed & link up! :)

And, don't forget to head over to Buy, Sell, Teach to sign up & grab FIVE of my products for FREE until midnight!

You will get all this for it's an awesome BRAND NEW site for buying & selling your products :)

As always, thanks for stopping by!! :)  Have a happy HUMP DaaaayyyyyY!
Funniest commercial, ever! :)


  1. I love the ecard Kelly! I pinned it! I'm going to have to try the quiet dice! The noise doesn't bother me so much. I just can't stand when they go flying across the room! The graphing board is really neat too! Thanks for all of the great ideas! How's your classes going? I finished my critical issues in educational policy class last night! Yay! Hope things are going well!

    An Apple a Day in First Grade

  2. First of all, LOVE the 10 math activities that you pinned. THEN, I went ahead and signed up for Buy Sell Teach and downloaded your freebies. So THANK YOU SO MUCH! I can't wait to use all this good stuff next year! I am also following you on bloglovin, so you are welcome to follow me back! However, I'm just starting out and it's nothing too exciting over there! I still haven't figured out how to link my blog here but I am working on it! Either way it's: so you can add me! Thanks so much for sharing!

  3. Okay, I'm missing something. I signed up at buy, sell, teach, but I don't see how to get your cute freebies!

  4. I love using the beach balls for games-you can even do it going down the line when they are waiting in line in the hallway.


  5. Love your math pins! I haven't seen magnetic tape used on popsicle sticks for place value.


  6. We have almost gone through best provisions and we also needed to get followed by every good stance mentioning true aspects, so, we have created better stance. non plagiarized papers


I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)