Monday, June 24, 2013

Monday Made It - CHEVRON edition!

Oh, it's my favorite time... summer is back and so is the weekly Monday Made It Linky!
It really keeps me going & I get so many awesome ideas from everyone.

It's like a Pinterest just for teachers :)

I really should call this Monday (WE) Made it because I couldn't have done any of these without my dad. He's the handyman, and I'm just the ideas person. I know he hates to see me pull in my parent's driveway because I always have a "to do, please" list just for him :)

Monday Made it # 1
So, most of you are aware of my chevron obsession & I FINALLY got my little & big table done for my classroom. YAY!

 Gotta add a cute drawer pull (Anthropologie??) on the drawer & cover it with Poly.
I looked EVERYWHERE for a chevron painting tutorial that was easy to do. I finally found one <HERE> & it was truly a life saver (time saver...sanity saver... you know...).

I decided to use this girl's post as inspiration to make a little tutorial for you. Please be forgiving of my inability to draw straight lines without a ruler and my makeshift paper drawing.. I wasn't prepared to share it, but it works as good as any, and it's what I had :)

Anyway, here are the steps all my fellow chevron lovers...
 Seriously, USE the FrogTape. It's Uh. Mazing! So much better than blue painter's tape & you get a bunch. Find it at WalMart or anywhere I guess... about $5.89 I think :)
 See? My drawing is awful.. work with me here, folks...
 I forgot to draw more green lines on this step, but you'll see them in BLUE on the next step :)

 Yes, the lines are all off because I sketched this out WITHOUT a ruler.. Use a ruler...seriously..use a ruler. :)
 You'll end up having to trim edges where the tape overlaps so you can make a perfect chevron corner.
 This takes some time, but it's not near as bad as I thought it would be. 
Just keep your scissors handy to do any trimming.
YAY!!!  You can't imagine my excitement (or maybe you can) as the tape came off & revealed the awesomeness of chevron! 

The FrogTape says to pull off the tape immediately after painting. I waited 5 minutes.
 (Crazy girl that I am you know... a real rebel!)

Monday Made It #2
I was in Hobby Lobby last week & saw the cutest clipboard stand thing. Yep, that's the official name. I looked on the bottom.
That's my sweet momma starring as the model :)

I immediately thought how perfect it would be in my classroom to hold EQ's, Standards, or my lesson plans... IF it was the right color. 

So I decided to ask dad to make it myself !

It's similar, not exactly the same, but I wanted mine longer top to bottom to hold a whole piece of paper if I chose to use it for my lesson plans. That's Handyman Dan's (aka Dad's) workshop.  

Traced the pattern... cut it out of wood... and modpodged the paper on the top.
The bases came from the molding section of Lowes...two pieces glued together and painted. 

You'll see a lot of my parents in my summer posts because they and MB both live in Alabama, so I spend a lot of my summer time over there (here). And, they are the best project helpers in the world. That's where I get it, I guess... there was always a project going on when I was growing up.

I'm thinking by the end of this summer though, they might be done with me. haha :)

Monday Made It #3 (kinda...)
For the home, you know, cause I gotta have some cutesiness there, too! It's not all the way finished, but this is what I have so far... the inspiration is on the left & came from...you guessed it...Pinterest. That post is <HERE> & I've seen a bunch on Etsy, too...
Love! :) I'm the WORLD'S WORST about leaving change... paper clips... dry erase markers... erasers... toys... in my pockets, so this will be perfect hanging on the wall next to my washer.

Radiator clamp thingy from auto parts store + board + some screws... Add paint & vinyl or paint pen...Voila... Cute!

Okay, friends, that's it for me. Back to grad work...ugh.


Head on over to 4th Grade Frolics and link up! Don't forget to leave some bloggy love while you're there :)


20 comments:

  1. SO many cute things! I love them all!

    Kimberly Ann
    http://livelaughilovekindergarten.blogspot.com/2013/06/chalkboard-obesession.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE all of it! I have a small problem with chevron too! I don't have anyone to cut the wood for the clipboard stand thing (sshh...my husband is a store manager at Lowe's, but he's not super handy!!!). Do you think I could buy the one from Hobby Lobby and modge podge some paper on it and spray paint it? I MUST have one! Unless of course, I can hire your dad! :O)
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your clipboard stand came out so amazing! I want one but being queen of the craft fails, I wouldn't even attempt to go near a saw! Your dad is so talented! Gotta love that chevron!

    The Polished Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your table is super cute and I NEED that clipboard stand thingy! I am so glad you found my blog. Your's is adorable! I am a new follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the chevron! All of your projects came out great!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl,

    You wore out some Monday Made It projects!!! I love them all! So glad I stopped by your blog.

    -Sarah
    A Rocky Top Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lucky girlie you are to have such a handy daddy to help you out! All of the projects look fantastic!!! I'm happy to be your newest follower :)
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  8. One word for all three projects....awesome!! :)

    Nicki
    Mrs. Thigpen's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love your "clipboard stand thing"!!! I have never seen anything like that before! I am definitely going to make one of those for my classroom next year. Thanks for the awesome idea!

    Tess

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the chevron tables. Thanks for sharing where you found an easy chevron tutorial, I like chevron but am always unsure how to make perfect chevron stripes. Thanks again.

    Stephanie
    PolkaDotPalace

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this blog! Your ideas are so great! You were very busy on this Monday Made It! They all look fantastic! I love that mason jar idea! I might have to "borrow" it!!!
    ~Your Newest Follower,
    Natalie
    www.thepolkadottedchirp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Wow! Wow! I love this post. That clipboard holder is fantastic and I cannot wait to try out the chevron table design! Thanks for the inspiration, Kelly. :)

    Catherine
    The Brown-Bag Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kelly you're killing me!!! I love your chevron table. Super cute!!! I see you we're one busy bee. Looks like I'll be busy again soon. Thank you for sharing. I'll be sure to make sure I'm following you on bloglovin'.

    ((Hugs))
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK. I consider us good friends now so I am just going to ask....
    How much will it take to get that clip board?
    Really.
    How much?
    There must be an amount you will negotiate!...!
    Oh,
    My,
    Word
    Kelly!
    I absolutely adore it and must have it!
    I saw that exact same one at Hobby Lobby and passed on buying it because it didn't match my black and white theme.....
    I am ever so jealous of you right now!
    But super excited that I have a friend who is that stinkin talented!
    Love it girl!
    Xoxoxoxoxo,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your have a talented pop! He did a great job. Your table turned out great, too. Thanks for the great ideas! I am a new follower with bloglovin...

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm pinning the clip board stand. It's just AWESOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just found your blog tonight. It might take me a while read your blog.....

      Delete
  17. Love your creations!!! Your chevron tutorial is great! Can't wait to see the finished pocket jar.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love your blog:) So bright and fun:) Your made its are amazing! Thanks for sharing and linking them up:) I would love to try to make one of those clipboards for my room:) And the chevron tables...to die for:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  19. How did you attach the top piece of the clipboard to the bottom piece? Can you post a pic of what it looks like from the back?

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)