Thursday, April 25, 2013

TpT Debate, New Product & FLASH Freebie!!!

So, there's been a lot of fodder out there this week about Teachers Pay Teachers. Apparently, there are those who believe that teachers do not actually OWN the rights to the products they make, and should give the profits (or portion) to their school districts. This is all based on the theory that "most" (whoever came up with that, I'll never know) teachers use school computers or school-bought technology to create products and that much of it is being made during "tax payer supported working hours". 

Rumor has it that one school district has even made a motion to restrict their teachers from selling on TpT.


First of all, I do not know ANY teacher that creates products on school time or with school resources. It's all done at home, on his or her own time, and with software and products purchased with personal funds. Making products for TpT is labor intensive and time consuming.... and most of us do it because a) we love teaching, sharing and collaborating...and b) to add a few dollars to the bank. 

Plus, WHO on earth has time to make stuff while at school?? I barely have time to run to the bathroom on most days! 

I'm sure there ARE those that break the rules, but really??  I just think this is an ignorant perspective, and I just keep reading about it. I wish I could find the articles & share them with you, but I've searched for a while now, and my leads come up dead.

Anyway, what do YOU think?? Should teachers share their profits because we are in a career that is supported by tax payer dollars?  I'd love to hear your opinions on this whole thing because, truly, I'm bumfuzzled that ANYONE actually came up with this thought.

~~~  Moving on...kinda... in my support of TpT and the free enterprise system, I wanted to share my latest product with you AND give it away for the next two hours... ('til 11:00 Eastern).

We've been working on hineys off learning about number patterns.  My firsties have mastered the number patterns that they are familiar with, like counting by 2's, 5's, and 10's forward from the beginning of the number line.  BUT, start counting at like 23 and count by 2's, and they are LOST.  So, we use this strategy....
I'm sure a lot of you do this, too, but it works wonderfully! We've been using this set for a couple days now, and I'm amazing at the progress. YAY!!  I love when I'm amazed :)

Here are some previews of what's included in the pack...
 Strategy cards for addition and subtraction (counting on AND counting back)...
 Number Pattern Matching Cards. The first card has the beginning of the pattern & the second one has the extension of it.  There are 18 sets.
Plus, you get 18 number pattern "fill in the blank" cards you can laminate & the kids can write on with dry erase markers.  There's also a worksheet to assess your student's progress (not pictured). 

So, there you have it ! I hope you like it :) Oh, and for the record... I didn't make this at school, on school time, or with school resources. haha :)

Head on over & grab it for free. Just click <HERE>!  If you like it, I'd love your positive feedback!

Ok, friends, I'm off to try & write some lesson plans for next week. It's the BIG test for us first graders, so the schedule is all wonky, but we're gonna ROCK IT.. I just know it !!

Hope you're having a great week, and just think, you're just hours away from FRIDAY!! Yippee!

Much love,


  1. That is the craziest thing I have ever heard! Thanks for the freebie!!! :)

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

  2. Oh wow. I know that I don't have time to do this at school, and I'm always using my own stuff that I bought with my own money to create and sell. Educators can't catch a break....

    Mrs. Thigpen's Kindergarten

  3. Oh girl. Don't get me started. I read someone else's rant against this too and I just can't understand how anyone thinks we have time to do this at school!! In fact, my biggest units were made over the summer and spring break!! Just as Nicki said, educators can't catch a break. Sigh! :-P
    ideas by jivey
    Follow Me On Facebook! :)

  4. We are using our own money to support the classroom. Now the extra money we are making is going back into a system that does not give us money for basics?

    Crystal Shepherd
    The lamppost in 1st grade math

  5. Wow! I had not heard this yet, but that is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard!! I never use my school computer to make things, in fact, I always bring my home computer (because I prefer Mac & we have PCs) to do any lesson plans or worksheets that I use. I never have the time to create at school besides the occasional, quick little worksheet or something that I'm needing for the week. Like you said, it takes a lot of personal time and money to sell things on TpT. It would be absurd to try to take that away from us! I agree with Nicki, we can't catch a break...

    Kinder Krazy

  6. I think this is a case of one bad apple ruins the whole bunch. All it took was for someone to find out that one seller was TpTing on school time and/or devices. Then, they quickly generalized to "most" which essentially gives us all a bad rap. We all know we are honest hardworking teachers, now we just have to convince the public.
    Thanks for the freebie!
    Forever A Teacher, Forever A Learner

  7. That is totally crazy! Probably was one person who is now making hard for everyone else! Thank you for the freebie!!

    My Crazy Life

  8. Share their profits!???? We already are sharing our profits! With TPT! I can't imagine that happening!


    Learning With Mrs. Leeby

  9. Awhile ago when I first started selling there was an article in our local paper about Deanna Jump and it mentioned what you are talking about as well. As far as I know only myself and one other teacher in my district sell on TPT. I NEVER make any of my TPT products during school or on school computers. I hate that one person or a few people ruin things for others. :(

    Mrs. Pauley's Kindergarten

  10. Oh my...I hadn't heard about this. Absolutely crazy. It's sad and scary what's happening to teachers these days.

    In happy news, I LOVE your new product! It's just what I needed to finish the year with good addition and subtraction review. Thanks!

  11. I had not heard about this yet! Wow! This is craziness. So what about the time that I put into to each work day outside of my contracted time? I come to school 30 minutes before my contracted time AND I usually stay after school way later than I need to be. Don't even get me started on all the time I spend at home correcting papers and putting centers together. Does the school district pay me extra for that? No! They keep taking money away to meet the budget. I still put the time in because it allows me to provide good learning opportunities for my students. I also agree, who has the time to make any of this at school? I barely have enough time to each lunch. I hope this doesn't become a reality.

    Sorry for my rant.

    Ms Richards's Musings

  12. Without hesitation, I absolutely positively call shenanigans. I would predict these neighsayers are also the individuals who tell us say "I would love to play with kids all day." Phaaaa!

    The Brown-Bag Teacher

  13. This absolutely blows my mind, I call BS. I only started posting on TPT because I teach such specific classes with no curriculum and I have had to spend hours of my own time creating 'fun' 'engaging' projects, I figured I should share if there was one teacher out there also teaching my subjects. I think I get like 30 bucks a quarter, obviously I am not selling 'hot' items, what share would they want of that exactly.

    Thanks for sharing though, I will make sure I never even look at the site on my school computer.

    The Babbling Box!


I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)