Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Testing 1, 2, 3, Mother's Day Ideas & a FREEBIE

I have totally been neglecting my sweet blog. :( This testing prep is about to kill me, & I am just ready to get it over. They are just babies, I keep saying (screamiNG, ranTING, RAVING!...), but no matter how much I don't like it, we have to take it.  The upper grades finished up their testing today, so there's a little less stress in the overall feel at school but we have 3 more days of prep before OUR big test, and I'm trying to keep my kids (keep ME) calm.  I know they will do what they will do, and I have done all I can do, but it just makes me nervous.  Ugh. 

So, with all the lessons in my room being centered around test review, I almost feel bad for my kiddos.  We have done some fun activities and lots of brain breaks, but there's been lots and lots of review...  One of my kids said, "Wow, we have done a lot of work this week...but no crafts. When are we doing a craft?" with a frowny face.  I am a strong believer that kids learn through play and crafts, so I do a lot of that in my room.  But, like I said, this week has been review. Boo. 

But, I wanted to share a fun little cut and paste we did today that the kids actually enjoyed. It's not much, but we needed the help in deciphering among nouns, plural nouns, proper nouns, and pronouns.


Way too many nouns! haha :) I can totally understand how the kids get confused with these... I mean, introduce and master ALL of these in one school year? We're trying...


 
 Just click the pictures to grab the freebie if you think you can use it :)

Anyway, on to more happier talk... Mother's Day!!!  :)
Like I said, I love doing crafts with my kids & Mother's Day is always a good time to jump right in. This year, I'm trying to figure out what I want to do...  Any thoughts??

These are some things I've done in the past...
 I took wooden picture frames from Ikea, and the kids glued scrapbook paper to the front of the frame. I went around it with an Exacto knife & trimmed the edges (at home, obviously). The kids chose whether or not they wanted to make a tissue flower (the girls said YES!) for their frames. Then, the I took a picture of each child with a DRAWN picture of their mommy & put it in the frame. It was a BIG HIT :)
We've also made flower bouquets from our handprints. The kids each trace & cut out their hands. Then, you roll them into a flower & tape the bottom.  We dropped pipe cleaners down the center & then tied all the flowers up to make a bouquet.  Sweet.

Last year, we made these bags...

 They were 99 cents a piece at Garden Ridge, so I snagged them. I took each child, painted his hand, and then they went around and made a flower. I let them paint the middle & the stem and leaves.  It was super easy & the mommies really liked this. If I can find the bags again, I think I may go with this. I don't know.
 Cute huh?

I also made these as parent helper appreciation gifts last year, and thought I could do it again, but it's mainly me making them & not the kids...
The kids picked out the paper & ribbon, and then I put them together. I am a bigger fan of kid-made gifts, but I'm trying to decide...

What to do...what to do....

What do YOU think??   I need your help!  Got any other ideas to share?? I'm all ears :)

I'm going to be out of the town for a few days before the weekend of Mother's Day, plus we have Field Day that week, so I need to get my idea in my head & get it done before I leave.  So, please help :)

Allright, I'll pause the ramble & head on out.  I'm working on a Counting On & Back Number Pattern mini pack, and would like to get it up by tonight.  I'll share tomorrow.  I'm thinking FLASH FREEBIE?? :)

As always, thanks for stopping by & a BIG thank you to everyone who entered my giveaway.. It was so much fun & I loved reading all your comments.  It's crazy how big the variation is among the days left of school for all teachers. Some people don't get out 'til the end of June and some are out in like two weeks. WOW!  We have 26 days here... not like I'm counting or anything ;)

Happy Hump Day!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the sorting sheet. Good review for us...although in second grade we get the added fun of possessives! Singular and plural. Double the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your picture frame idea. Is there any place to get them for a decent price?

    Lindsay
    For the Love of First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For Christmas (for my family's gifts) I used 6"x6" ceramic tiles and put modpodged scrapbook paper onto it. I used a paint-on (NOT spray-on) acrylic to seal it. I had thought about doing this for Mother's Day and using the kids' pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE this idea!! I have done something similar before, and hadn't even thought about doing it for Mother's Day. Also, thanks for the tip about the paint on acrylic! :)

      Kelly :)

      Delete
  5. Do not be frightened in the times ahead to consider the bull by
    the horns and establish your existence with
    authority. The mixture gives us power and dedication to alter whatever is not operating well.



    My blog; certified psychics

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)