Thursday, April 11, 2013

My Teacher Bag is STILL in the Car & Sandwich Stories!

It's true... I admit Teacher Bag is STILL in my car. 
It's Thursday of my Spring Break & I haven't even begun to tackle all those papers that need to be graded, or any of those data charts that need to be updated.  I promise I'll do it... sometime before Monday morning!

I'm not a messy person, but my trunk would lead you to believe otherwise. I snapped this picture as I was loading some fun new buys from the Dollar Tree & Hobby Lobby. It's so nice to be out and among the living during the school day :) I don't think other working folks get how nice it is for teachers to be out and about...during the DAY!! :)

Anyway, back to my Dollar Tree story - I went in search of these fabulous sandwich coasters that Krista at The Creative Chalkboard posted about last week. I went to THREE different stores before I found them, but I was bound and determined & couldn't wait to get my hands on them!

They are so cute! And, they're actually pretty sturdy considering the price.  When I read Krista's post, I started thinking about how I could use them. We are really working on story structure & writing in first grade, so I wanted to make them in a writing activity. (Thanks to Mom for helping me sort!)

I took each piece, and assigned a story part to it..
  Bread - Title
  American Cheese - Good beginning
 Swiss Cheese - Setting
 Lettuce - Main Character
 Tomato - Character 2
 Onion - Character 3
  Meat - Problem
  Bacon - Solution
  Bread - Conclusion

I made labels with some suggested settings, characters, problems and solutions & put them on the back...

I left all the solutions open because I have really been working with my kids on using their own creativity to solve a problem.  We have done some matching of problem & solution in the past, but I thought this would give them the opportunity to create their own solution.

I also wanted my kids to work on strong beginnings and ending a story with a "bang", and some closure, so those are kinda open ended, too.

I plan on making a poster to show the kids what each part represents, but for now, I whipped up a graphic organizer to help them along...

If you happen to already have these coasters, or you go grab your own, you can download this graphic organizer by clicking on the above picture. 

So, the kiddos pick one of each sandwich part & make up their own story. They can be serious or silly ( I love silly stories!). As long as they're writing, I'm a happy teacher. :)

I can't wait for my kids to use them - I really think they'll have a blast building their sandwich & I can't wait to see what they come up with. I promise to post some examples later...later as in AFTER our mock state testing. Ugh.

 Right now, we have to focus on review and intervention groups, so there won't be much time for fun centers. It makes me sad. They're 6 and 7, and there's just so much pressure. I try my best to prepare them while keeping the anxiety low, but they can sense it. They're just babies... makes me sad. :(

Moving on.... I also wanted to share my Spring Break craft with you. I have this mild obsession with wreaths & I change mine on the front door all. the.time.  Of course, when I saw this on Pinterest...

 I knew I had to make one...

It's on the floor because I'm waiting for the glue to dry, but I think it's gonna be so super cute on my front door! Yay for crafts & Hobby Lobby, of course! I about peed my pants with excitement when I found that  burlap ribbon :)

Well, that's about it for me, friends. I guess I need to go get that bag out of the car.


No, I definitely have to go do it.

Have a happy Thursday evening & an even better FRIDAY!! For most of your sakes, I hope it comes quickly...for me, I'm a little mad at Father Time for going by so fast.  Oh well.... just that much closer to summer time!! 

Thanks for stopping by!! :)


  1. Love the sandwich writing activity. How cute. I know your kiddos will love that.

    LOVE LOVE LOVE the wreath!! Oh my word!!! Awesome. Oh and the polka dot fabric from my scarf you commented on actually came from Hobby Lobby!! :)

    Mrs. Thigpen's Kindergarten

  2. That wreath is SO cute. So glad you are enjoying your spring break!

  3. I have never seen these at the Dollar Tree but you can bet your bottom dollar I will be going there TOMORROW!! They are PRECIOUS!!! I have SO many ideas of ways to use those!

    I am actually proud of you for leaving that bag in the car. You needed some YOU time and it looks like your creative juices (love the wreath) have been flowing without that bag. I wish I had been able to leave mine in the car, but at least I have taken a couple days now to do NOTHING school related, and it feels better than I thought it would!!

    Enjoy the rest of your break...I too think Father Time went a little too fast this week! I am, however, excited about doing your Manners unit when we get back to school next week! :)

  4. That wreath is adorable!!! And my school bag made it in the house but has barely been opened. :-P
    ideas by jivey

  5. I have never seen those sandwich coasters. I definitely am on a mission now, they are adorable. That wreath is adorable! I don't know how many I have pinned on Pinterest. One day I will actually have the courage to make one.

    My Spring Break was 2 weeks ago and I didn't do any school work until Saturday before I had to go back. Ha! So hopefully you have better luck. Enjoy the rest of your Spring Break.

    First Grade A to Z

  6. Those wreaths are both ADORABLE!!!! I love the one you made. Your sandwich activity looks too fun!
    The Hive

  7. Kelly you are SO creative! I love your wreath it is beautiful! Your sandwich activity is awesome! I can't wait to see how it goes in your classroom! I'm so glad to hear that you took time for yourself this week and left your teacher bag in your car (at least for a while). I hope you enjoy the rest of your week off! :o)

    A is for Apple B is for Blog

  8. Keep enjoying your break! You are so creative!!!

    Learning With Mrs. Leeby

  9. I have that 31 bag you have in your trunk :)

    The wreath came out ADORABLE!

    And now I may need to go find those coasters...

    Journey of a Substitute Teacher

  10. Sandwich coasters?? I could die right on the spot here! I am going to have to run to the dollar store!

  11. Your wreath looks great - love the burlap with the pink!

    :) Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

  12. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremelyy well written article.

    I will make sure to bookmark it and return to read
    more of your useful information. Thanks for the post.
    I will certainly return.

    My blog; m88


I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)