Friday, April 19, 2013

Five for Friday & Homonyms..or Homophones?


Happy Dance! Happy Dance! It's Friday... and not only Friday, but one more Friday closer to summer! We have 29 days of school left...and only 5 Mondays. Yippee! 

It's bittersweet this year. I L.O.V.E my kids this year - they truly have my heart - so I hate to see them move on to 2nd grade, but boy, do I love my summers :) Does anyone else become so attached to "your" kids that they are forever YOUR kids??? 
Yep, that about sums me up :)

Anyway, time to link up for Five for Friday! :)

1) Girly Fun! Started the week off with a MUCH NEEDED pedicure & it was made even better because I got to go to the salon with my sweet momma.  It was a great girls day!
Please don't judge the Fred Flinstone feet...or my awesome sweats, but I am in love with the super summery color..Flip Flop Fantasy! :)

2)  SHOPPING!  Okay, I admit,I have a bit of a problem, but I do love me some shopping.  I also have a bit of an obsession with scarves. I just can't have enough. Lately, it's been these chevron jersey knit scarves...

I've already bought the mint blue & the grey...and I can't get enough! Now I want the pink, but I need to put the brakes on, or I am going to look really weird wearing the same accessory every day! :) I got them on ebay for CHEAPO & they shipped in 3 days. Happy girl right here...happy, happy!

3) When I Grow Up...
    This week, while the "bigs" were taking their state test, we were presenting mandated "College & Career Reading Preparedness Instruction" lessons.. wow, that's a mouthful!  Basically, we spent three days presenting different career "clusters" like transportation, law, and agriculture to our first graders. The other grades focused on different clusters. It's supposed to expose children early to college & career readiness and get them thinking about what they want to be when they grow up.

 Mine wanted to be astronauts, police officers, bus drivers, and firefighters... I just want them to be happy.  I think that's the best part of being a teacher.. I'm actually HAPPY with my job. I dont think there's a lot of folks that can say that.  The lessons were a little over the kids' heads, but it was so much fun hearing all their innocent ideas of what they want to be. :)

4 AND 5) Homonyms....or are they homophones??
   I am always confused by these two... so I looked it up...and this is what is says...

In linguistics, a homonym is one of a group of words that share the same spelling and the same pronunciation but have different meanings.
A homophone is a word that is pronounced the same as another word but differs in meaning. The words may be spelled the same, such as rose (flower) and rose (past tense of "rise"), or differently, such as carat, caret, and carrot, or to, two and too.
All homonyms are homophones because they sound the same. However, not all homophones are homonyms. Homophones with different spellings are not homonyms. 

Uhhhh... ok.  Are you confused??  Yeah, me too.

So, no matter what they're called, that's what we've been working on this week.  I think the titles of my activities are wrong, now that I've read the definition, but we've had fun and learned so much about them this week :)

 Found this awesome book on TpT last year, and can't seem to find it again. If you know the source, or ARE the source, please let me know so I can give credit.
Each child got a different page & we made a class book. Love this one! 

We also made Homonym 'n M's... it's supposed to look like a pack of M&M's :)

  We ate some, too...always a good day when chocolate is involved! :)

Then, we created a Pair of Pears...

 Lastly, we made these fun Homonym (now I know they are HOMOPHONES!) books :) I made this my first year teaching...long before cute fonts & clip art entered my life, but they work & the kids always enjoy the activity.
 It's definitely hand drawn, but if you want a copy, email me & I'll send it to you :)
So, those are my five! Heading out of town for a wedding with MB. Should be fun!! :) Have a great one, too!

 And don't forget about my giveaway... you still have time to enter & win a BUNCH of awesome resources...or a gift card... or some fonts..seriously, click the picture to check it out  :)



Much love,

9 comments:

  1. Homonyms/homophones are confusing! Have you ever taken a linguistics class? I had to take one a couple of years ago as a master's requirement and it was by far, one of the most difficult classes I have EVER taken! Some of it was really interesting, but some of it was horrendous! Your activities were adorable though!
    Tara
    TeachingwithTWitte

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I always thought homographs and homophones were homonyms- like that word encompassed them all. Oops!! LOL I'm glad you cleared it up!!
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE those scarves. I'm sooo going to try and find some chevron fabric and make those!!!

    Nicki
    Mrs. Thigpen's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly, you Homonym n' M's are super cute! So clever! We love the chevron scarves...infinity scarves are so easy to wear and hassle free!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the scarves too and polish color! Could the book have been from Mrs. Patmore?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those scarves...since you said they are cheap, I say go for the pink! You'll feel happy every time you catch a glimpse of it. (Might have to pick one up myself...there have been a few days recently where I needed something to brighten up my day!)

    Have you read The King Who Rained? It is an oldie, but goodie. Probably a bit too high for firsties, as I have to explain a lot to my second graders, but they love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely scarves. I remember an incidence when I was having coffee and I spilled it on my mom's scarves, she scolded me so badly, gosh I'm gonna remember it in my entire life! :(

    Thanks for the article dear.
    Regards,
    Finn Felton
    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your blog! and the scarves as well! Would you mind telling me what store you bought from on ebay if you recall? I want to get several for gifts for my girls teachers :)

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)