Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Duck? Rabbit? Oooh, I Have an Opinion! *FREEBIE!

Well, as the saying goes, opinions are like....well, you know,and EVERYONE has one.

Everyone except first graders, that is.  Okay, okay, they have opinions & lots of them, but mine seem to have a hard time distinguishing opinion from fact.

I know a lot of grown ups that only know facts, as their opinions are fact for sure (ahem), but my little ones seem to have the same problem.

We have been working on this for a while, and I still had some that just couldn't quite get it.

Then, in stepped my wonderful colleague, KJ. She's a genius, I tell you!
She came up with this awesome activity & I had to share with you. :)

Do you know the book Duck! Rabbit!?
It's a quick and simple little story or dialogue where two kids argue over whether they are seeing a duck or a rabbit.  They each state their case & then leave it up to YOU to decide.


You can watch the little video of it here:
This is where the genius comes in...

The kids each got a template & had to "turn it into" a duck or  rabbit...whichever they thought it was! It was so much fun to hear them talk about and justify their thinking.


Then, they had to write. Yes, write.

They started with their opinion of what their animal was. Then, they have to back it up with at least three supporting details. This part wasn't easy, but it worked really well! I was pleasantly surprised and thrilled with how well they did this. 



The finished product was too cute!


 Rabbits obviously rock!

 Don't you just LOVE the teeth on this one?? HAHA!

We clearly had more rabbits than ducks. KJ said she always makes her own model a duck so there aren't so many rabbits, but I loved the way it turned out ! It was a fun way to celebrate spring, and a great way to work on our opinion writing, too. :)

If you want the template for the duck, click <HERE>!


If you would like the Duck or Rabbit sheet to go with it, click <HERE>!


So, that's it! Easy, cute, and the kids had so much fun with it!

Well, time to get going... I had the best time tonight catching up with one of my oldest and dearest lifelong friends who was in town for the day, and I am just plain pooped. Time for some mindless TV and to figure out what on earth I'm going to where to work tomorrow. Do any of y'all struggle with this?? I feel like I have nothing to wear, even though I'm only slightly addicted to shopping. :)

Have a happy Wednesday! We're on the downhill to Spring Break, baby...3 more days! :)

Thanks for stopping by....

17 comments:

  1. That is so cool! Love it! :) makes me miss first grade... a little. ;-)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey

    ReplyDelete
  2. This. is. amazing.
    Like I want to change my lesson plans and do it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did this book for opinion as well, but having the kiddos make it into a duck or rabbit is great! We're saving that template for next year!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this book! It's great to see what the kids think it is.

    Journey of a Substitute Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love this! Have to use it with my kiddos! I'm your newest follower :)

    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so adorable! Love the little teeth on the last one! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ThePolishedTeacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great activity!! I have to do a short presentation at our faculty meeting next week and I'm going to share this. I can't wait. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this!!! It was absolutely wonderful, we are for sure using this next year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm an SLP and my kids LOVE this book! We did the duck/rabbit template but I have them make one side a duck and the other side a rabbit. They are amazed when they flip it back and forth. They insisted that we also make an anteater/brachiosaurus! So much fun. I also use it for the basis of discussing perspective taking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found your blog and have been looking through your freebies, I am so excited!! I don't have enough months left in the year to do all these great activities! I love the ninja turtles with verbs, my students love them this year, and the odd and even game...how fun! This duck/rabbit activity I can't wait to use :) THanks for sharing your work and ideas!!! I love finding blogs like yours where I can't read enough!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fantastic! I JUST bought this book this weekend! Thank you so much. I can't wait to use it in my classroom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for sharing! My class is participating in the Global Read Aloud and we are using this book next week. THANK YOU FOR sharing your template. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for sharing the templates! I read the book this morning to my Grade one class and they loved it. They started a rough copy of writing their opinion and then they will write a good copy and colour their rabbit or duck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing this! I am beginning a unit on fact versus opinion and this would be a great way to teach students about opinions!

    Jackie Conley

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are doing this activity in my class this week and the kids love it!

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)