Thursday, April 4, 2013

A B C D E F G...LMNOP..wHAT?! *Flash FREEBIE!


Today was one of those days.... yep, one of THOSE days.

You know the ones...

The kind where everything is moving right along, and you're on top of the world basking in the glory of how much your kids have learned this year & how smart your class is, and then...

BAM!

You're doing some review, which included a little bit of ABC order, and a kid says, "I don't know my alphabet". 

Umm...what?  Okay, breathe...

"Well, sweet pea, why don't you say your alphabet to me?"
-----> blank stare

"Okay, well how about you sing it to me... you know, the ABC song?"
------> A B C D E  F   G....uuhhhhh....LMNOP....Z"

Yes, that happened. Today. 

Not to mention one other kiddo that piped up with, "Yeah, I never remember what comes after D".  Uhh...hello?? There are 22 other letters!!  Acckkkkk!!

Okay, after a mild heart attack, and a near nervous breakdown, I took my little birds, and we worked on the alphabet. It didn't take too long to get them back on track (yes, they are in RTI), but I was in shock. Serious shock. 

We need some work on ABC order. Now, this is not explicitly stated in our Common Core, but if the kiddos can't do this, they can't use a dictionary ... they can't do lots of things.  So, it was time to get to work.

We alphabetized everything in the room, from kids' names to school supplies...we even put spelling words and pet names into ABC order. 

I'm almost ashamed to admit this happened, but I'm sure some of you have experienced something along these lines with content you thought you kids learned, right?  Right? RIGHT?  Bueller??

Well, I bought the CUTEST clip art from the famous Ashley Hughes this weekend during the Spring Cleaning Sale & was trying to figure out what to do with it.

LIGHTBULB! ABC order, for sure!

So, here you go...my newest creation :)


It's FREE for 2 hours... or until 11:00 Eastern (my bedtime!)

I hope you like it & can use it in your room. If you download & like, I'd love it if you left some feedback :)

The day got better. Actually, I had a really good day. Minus the mindblowing realization that I had two kids that couldn't sing their ABCs. 

We found out today that 1st grade will be taking a "mock" version of our statewide test.  Yep, found out TODAY!  And, we're off next week for spring break, which gives us 2 full instructional weeks to make sure these kiddies are ready for testing.  The very FIRST big test they will ever take. Oh yeah..good times.

But, all in all, a good day. My kids really are doing well & they know what they know, so I'm trying NOT to stress. So much easier said than done, but I have confidence... Even my ABC twins are gonna rock it, right?! :)

Happy early Friday, folks...have a good one & thanks for stopping by! :)

11 comments:

  1. Oh I know EXACTLY what your talking about!!! Lol! Same exact thing last week happened with teen #s....right after I had just been bragging about all their progress!!! Gotta laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg! I know the feeling when you think everyone should know something and they don't all of a sudden! Cute cute cute freebie!!!:-)

    Kimberly Ann

    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love this freebie! Stinky about your 1st grade kiddos having to take a big test :( We are so thankful it hasn't come to our kiddos yet! We love your confidence! Have a great Friday!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm so excited! I snagged it and will be using it soon. I do ABC order during morning work every week, but I still loved this and had to have. I made cameras with another unit I bought on Hollywood Verbs a few weeks ago so it is PERFECT! Thanks so much! One more day girl, one more day, SPRING BREAK is on the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! Thanks so much!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bahaha, I love this post and feel your pain. Your ABC order is my punctuation! Sending good vibes your way for an excellent first BIG test. :)

    -Catherine
    The Brown-Bag Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Love this! Thanks for sharing...just think, they will come back refreshed and ready to rock it out!

    Lindsay
    For the Love of First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. I surely know that feeling. Last year, it was vowels for my class. After months of singing a,e, i, o, u...I still had some kiddos who couldn't tell me their vowels. Thank you for sharing your flash freebie!

    Dawn
    Adventures in First with Mrs. Key

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found your blog through "I'm a GA blogger" and it's so cute! I'm new to the blogging world, and I love finding fellow GA first grade teachers. I only wish I found you a few minutes earlier to get your freebie...it looks so cute! I hope you enjoy your spring break next week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kelly,
    You had me on the floor laughing!!
    Same story, different week.
    Good luck on your testing. That will take some patience and hugs!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kelly, I feel ya hun! Similar thing... but in Year 6 with putting apostrophes for plurals. I asked for the minon's reason behind that. "I think it looks better with an apostrophe." Yes, aesthetics pleasure. I think it took me a few seconds to process and regain my composure. YEAR 6!!!

    Well, teaching is not a dull job haha. Stay strong Kelly xx

    Emmy
    Daydreams with Miss D

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)