Sunday, March 10, 2013

Spring Forward & a Homework Freebie!

Did you remember to spring forward??
Every time Daylight Savings rolls around, I completely forget & my time schedule is all off.
Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the longer days, and it signals the warm up...
    * and how much closer we are to Spring Break & the end of the year ! :)

But... I always feel like this Sunday FLIES by...
Anyway, as is standard around my house on Sundays, I've been getting everything together for the upcoming week...homework, newsletter, laminating, etc..  Not to mention laundry & all the other chores.

So, as I was sitting here making my homework sheet for the week, I thought why not share with you?! I don't know how you do homework, but we (my first grade team & I ) send home a weekly packet on Monday, and the kids have to complete the assignments and turn everything in on Friday.

This helps me because I don't have to check homework every day, and it allows parents & the kids to decide when they want to do homework.

We have a lot of kids that are involved in sports and other activities outside of school, so if someone has a busy Wednesday, they have the option of doing more homework on another day and nothing on Wednesday.

We've been doing it this way for years, and I love it !

This is what my homework packet looks like..



 I figured since I do this every week for my classroom, I'd put it on here so you could have it if think you could use it. My plan (read..my PLAN) is to post this every week so you can grab it weekly :)

If you want the file, just click <HERE>!

If you DO grab it, let me know what you think, how it works in your room, or tell me how you do homework in your classroom :)

Homework time for little ones is always an area of big debate.. we get parents who want MORE homework, and there's always parents that want less.  You just never know.  This system has been the most successful, so we stick with it.  On top of this sheet, the kid also have small spelling assignments for each night & the expectation that they'll practice their sight words.  *Fingers crossed* right?

Happy Daylight Savings... and good luck waking up on time tomorrow! I know I'll need a nap tomorrow... haha :)

Thanks for stopping by !

10 comments:

  1. What a great freebie! You include everything in your weekly homework - I love it! Do you assign additional homework along with this packet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We assign weekly spelling assignments. It's a choice board that the kids pick from - 4 activities for the week - and they turn that in with their homework packets. Thanks for the sweet comments! :)

      Delete
  2. This is wonderful, it covers a lot of bases! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! Homework is such a tough issue with parents and teachers wanting different things. It's nice that you have such an effective system. I have a few questions I am curious about, how do you decide what work to give? Is it based exactly on what you are teaching that week or just review? I was curious because if I gave a weekly assignment packet, I would worry about if I didn't get to the material in the packet in time and the students did it without having practiced in class.

    Thanks so much for sharing this packet. It really is great!

    Becky
    Compassionate Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Becky,
      Thanks so much for your sweet comments. I usually only put stuff in the packets that we have previously worked on in class. I don't put new material in there, because so often my kids do their homework by themselves, and wouldnt have any help finishing it. SOMETIMES, I will put a little bit of something for Thursday that we have worked on during the week, but usually the homework follows what we have learned the previous week, or throughout the school year so far. I also don't take homework for a grade - just completion - because I just don't think that's fair to the kids. I do look over it, and "grade" it just to send home for parents who want to look it over. Hope this helps ! :)

      Delete
    2. Love this! Thank you so much! Homework is such a struggle by me. I teach in the inner city and only get about 30% turned back in each night. I have some parents that are homework fanatics, and some that unfortunately are illiterate so don't care. I try to give a reading comp one night and math page one night.

      Delete
  4. Will surely download this!! I do weekly homework packs too, but am the only teacher on my team that does it. They get 4math sheets from their workbook, and 4 spelling activities I make on vocabularyworksheetfactory, but I like this so much better, and it covers reading and grammar too! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You wouldn't be willing to sell these would you? I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi.I would love to buy your set for the whole year. Is it available for purchase? I didn't see it on TPT.

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)