Thursday, March 14, 2013

Somewhere Over the Rainbow....

  Somewhere over the rainbow...some first graders were STILL working on mastering main idea!
Yes, we are still focusing on main idea, and identifying those key details in a story.

After going over our data, and taking note that our state test is 80% comprehension for 1st graders, we jumped right back into main idea & details.

It worked perfectly for St. Patty's Day because we made these super fun rainbows! :)

We read Jack and the Leprechaun...which the kids loved, PLUS it has lots of details to pull from.
Each table got some tracers, labeled with each color of the rainbow, and started tracing (I wish I could say they have mastered THIS! ha!)

They each got a pot and a yellow rainbow to glue everything together...

 They wrote the main idea on the pot & FIVE supporting/key details on the rainbow strips...

Add a little glitter... of course...and easy peasy...beautiful & colorful rainbows!
Wish I could share the template with you, but it's all on the BIG paper, and I have no idea how to even start putting that one here. Believe me, it was super easy to make, though. :)
The kids had so much fun & it really tied in with our study of main idea AND our love of St. Patty's Day!! :)

Of course, while they were drying, the kids went to the carpet & tried to match them up to make a "real " rainbow. One kiddo said, "We have to put them together so the leprechaun can find his gold!".  Too cute!

We've also done some fun centers to go with our theme this week...
 A leprechaun at our writing center...Thanks First Grade Parade! You can get the template/freebie at the link.

We also did a sorting center to practice nouns, verbs, and pronouns.  I took gold coins, circle labels ( I love me some labels!) and the kids had to sort each coin into the right "pot".  They loved it!

 The kids also put shamrocks in numerical order... what a mess..and what fun!
 Do you love how 16 and 61 are STILL being confused?! arghh! :)
Simple centers ,but effective & great review.  Plus, I love any holiday that lets us have some fun!

Tomorrow, we're making cool leprechaun hats...with paint. Yes, paint.  Does anyone else start feeling the anxiety when the word PAINT is even mentioned?! I must really be in the spirit ! :)

Hope everyone is having a great week. Thanks for stopping by! :)


  1. Love the rainbows Kelly and yes, the word paint makes me very nervous:) Good luck tomorrow.

  2. This is too cute! I love the pot of gold craft! I can't wait to try this one out! Main idea can be difficult and this is perfect! Thanks for sharing!


  3. Love those rainbows! SO cute! I also love using the shamrocks for number order!!

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

  4. I love love love love this post! I want to make those rainbows now! Great ideas!


    Learning With Mrs. Leeby

  5. Your main idea rainbows are so gosh darn CUTE!!! I have some who are still reversing those teen numbers...right there with ya, ugh! What a simple and easy center idea. Where did you find all those gold coins? I need some next week for my March math tubs.

    For the Love of First Grade

  6. I love your parts of speech sort - super cute! We are hitting main idea hard this week and struggling - yikes. Monday we'll attack it again and *hopefully* it'll click for all of us. :) Happy Friday, Kelly!

    The Brown-Bag Teacher

  7. What a great idea! I'm always looking for ways to help students with main idea, and this is such a fun activity! Thanks for sharing :)

    Mindful Rambles

  8. I read your comment about the paint. I just learned about this product, poster stick paints. My aunt is an art teacher and brought them to my house. I LOVE them. They are solid paint but....- no mess!! I put a proposal up on Donorschoose and now have a class set. No more itchy, anxious feeling at the idea of painting.


I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)