Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Making Inferences & Problem of the Day FREEBIE

Okay, I'll admit it, I'm a total blog stalker! There are just so many awesome ideas out there, and sometimes, I find myself at the computer for hours looking for new and fun ways to teach the same ole', same ole' standards. 

I truly believe my teaching has gotten better because of teacher blogs. I have been teaching 1st grade for 12 years, and sometimes you  just need some NEW ideas!

If teachers are good at anything, it's "borrowing". I have never understood those that hide behind their classroom doors, and don't share and collaborate. Sharing & creating is one very fabulous part of this job :)

That being said, we have been working hard at making inferences and drawing conclusions from text we have read or heard. Thanks to some awesome bloggers, the unit was a HUGE success!

First, we started with The Inspired Apple's What's In My Teacher's Bag Activity?
 The kids got to take turns digging through my purse & pulling out one item to infer about. They had so much fun! I think they thought it was hilarious to actually go through my purse. They giggled and squirmed and REALLY came up with some great inferences!
 Yeah, I'm not awesome at drawing straight lines & my handwriting looks like my first graders, but you get the point.  The last one killed me... apparently, I love to "jam'! :)
 Then, each child chose two objects to make an inference about... I love that the dollar means I buy candy. Umm..maybe I should really work harder at the Weight Watchers plan!
 You can grab this recording sheet at the link above. Big thanks to Babbling Abby!

Next, we talked about how making inferences is like Reading Between the Lines...
    Nancy at First Grade WOW! came up with this cool idea... using those fun 80's sunglasses to drive the point home :)
I tried to re-create Nancy's cool chart, but it wasn't as fabulous AND I forgot to take a picture. But, here's hers..isn't this great?

Nancy picked up her giant glasses at the Dollar Store, but I couldn't find any :( I DID find them at Amazon for less than $7 a dozen.  Great deal !  Here's the link if you want to grab some...

We paired this with a reading & inferencing activity with No! David by David Shannon.  This is from the amazing Mrs. Carroll at The First Grade Parade.

We read the book, stopping at each page to make an inference about David.  Of course, the kiddos went NUTS when David runs down the street naked! :)

Each child chose their favorite part (naked running was a big hit!), and wrote about their inference. Then, they made Davids! 



Didn't they turn out great??  Some are a little scary, but that's what you get when the kids make their own teeth & expressions! haha

You can grab that inferencing sheet at the link above for Mrs. Carroll.

Overall, inferencing has been a big success.. It's so great to hear them doing it independently & when they don't know you're listening.  Look how cute this is...
A HUGE THANK YOU to all these great bloggers who made teaching this skill SO much more fun! My kids thank you, and I can't tell you how much it's appreciated.  Get out there & blog stalk...there's so much to see!

Lastly, it's almost April (what??!?!!), so I have just finished up my Common Core Problem of the Day pack for April....

I have had so many SWEET comments about last month's, and I'm hoping you love this one as much. One buyer said her kids are using this every single day, and another uses it daily for Morning Work. 

There are 31 total pages...with 22 days of problems, a Math Journal cover, and cut-apart problems for those who prefer to cut & paste into pre-made journals. Plus, the Common Core Standards addressed in the problems are included! 

I know that my kids love it & I have really seen improvement in their problem solving skills. Yay!

If you want to grab it, head on over to my TpT store <HERE>.  If you download the preview, you get four days worth of problems for FREE!

That's it for me tonight... time to work on some plans for next week. How on earth do the weeks go by so fast??  Only 8 more school days 'til our Spring Break...AND we're heading downtown for our field trip this week, too..

I'm already ready for a nap tomorrow!! haha

As always, thanks for stopping by!!  Have a great "hump day" & try to keep warm. I think SPRING might be around the corner...fingers crossed!! :)


3 comments:

  1. We have been working on inferencing too the past few weeks. Kind of a hard concept for them to truly grasp and totally understand! But I found some of these ideas too, at least they are fun and have them thinking!!

    Lindsay
    For the Love of First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to ask, is there a pattern for the David craft? I looked on Cara's blog but didn't see one.

      Delete
  2. I love the teacher bag thing!!, I HAVE to do that sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)