Friday, March 29, 2013

Five for Friday & a New Centers Pack

Woo hoo! We made it - it's Friday :)
It's true. I'm totally & completely head over heels in LOVE with Friday.  This week, for sure. It's been a busy one....a great one...but definitely a busy one.

So, it's time to link up with Doodle Bugs for Five for Friday... This is my first time linking up & I'm super excited to be part of it. I just love reading what's going on in everyone's corner of the world :)

#1 My week started off with last weekEND & a great little jaunt to Noccalula Falls...

Legend has it that Noccalula, an Indian princess, jumped to her death here after being told she had to marry a man she didn't love. A wee bit morbid, but kinda cool, all the same.

We've had so much rain around here lately & the falls were beautiful !!

#2 Egg Drop!
   Every year, we have an egg drop. The kids have to come up with a creative way to package a RAW egg so that it won't break...when we drop it from the top of the "big slide" (kid speak).  It's always a good time!

 Of course, some always break... Ewwwww...

#3 MATH Egg Hunt
  I blogged about how we do the whole math egg hunt here, but basically we label different colored eggs with different representations of numbers. The kids are each assigned a number & they go looking for their eggs!

It's hard to tell, but the grass is covered with over 800 eggs!!! Wowzers!

#4 Field Trip..
   Today, we went to the Georgia Aquarium with 80 first graders...
Oh, and I should mention...since it's Good Friday, everyone in the free world was there.  EVERYONE.  We made these reservations back in the fall, and none of us thought about it being a day when a lot of people are off work. Oh yes, it was completely CRAZY! Mass chaos, fo' sho'!

But, it was also really, really cool. Nothing like seeing the kids faces light up when they see a whale shark, beluga whale, or hundreds of jelly fish!

 #5 My New Rainy Literacy Centers Pack
  I spent a lot of time this week making some new literacy centers. It's that time of year for a lot of review and test prep, so I wanted some fun April themed centers to use, and...this is what I came up with !

4 complete centers focused on compound words, suffixes & prefixes with root words, antonyms & synonyms, and the four types of sentences.  You can grab it at my TpT store by clicking the link above or by clicking <HERE>.

And, since I didn't get a FREEBIE made up for Freebie Friday, I want to give away the whole pack to 5 folks... The first 5 to comment with an email address will get it. Tell me, what are you getting ready to teach?? 

Thanks for stopping by & taking a peek into my crazy week. I hope your week was just as awesome as mine & you are going to rest & relax this weekend.  Have a WONDERFUL Easter!!!! :)


  1. We are getting reading to review for our testing!! I'm definitely not looking forward to it.

  2. Your new pack looks wonderful! I love the skills addressed!

  3. Wow!! Too cute! :) The egg drop activity looks like SO much fun! :)
    - Ciera

  4. Looks awesome! Darn it, I think I missed it :( oh well lucky for those who got it!

  5. So cute! Next week I am gearing up to teach the difference between symbols and landmarks for an end of unit test.

    Love the egg drop! I never got to do one but it looks like so much fun!

  6. Looks great! We're working on synonyms and antonyms and will be beginning contractions.

  7. Wow! It looks like you had a wonderful week, Kelly. The egg hunt looks like SO much fun; I will definitely have to keep it in mind for next year. Isn't it awesome to 'expand' our kids worlds. We are headed to a Wildlife Refuge in a few weeks, and I cannot wait! :)

    The Brown-Bag Teacher


I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)