Friday, March 15, 2013

Conjunction Junction!! Compound Sentence FREEBIE!

Woo hoo!!! It's Friday...and better yet, it's FREEBIE Friday!! :)

So, with Common Core this year, the bar has definitely been raised with language arts. In the past, we have created compound sentences using conjunctions, sure! But, I have to admit, we haven't really focused on the vocabulary.  That is, until now.

We have definitely made our way down Conjunction Junction...and we KNOW what they are. YAY!!

I don't know if y'all have seen this image/pin on Pinterest, but I saw it & knew it would work wonders for my firsties...
I've tried & tried to find the original source, but despite my efforts, I keep getting an error. If you know the source, please let me know, so I can give credit where credit is due :)

Anyway, we have been creating compound sentences and explaining that conjunctions are the GLUE that hold them together is genius. A big thanks for whoever created this!

We started with writing two sentences...
(sorry, can't get it to turn!)

Then, we "glued" them together using our conjunctions!

This lesson stemmed from the book, I Will Never Not Ever Eat a Tomato by Lauren Child.
The kids LOVE this book...
and it was great for the kids to write , I love.... BUT I really don't like....."  Two sentences, combined into one :)

We continued this with the other conjunctions during the week. Sorry I forgot to take pictures of the rest of them :(

So, here's the freebie...glue bottle conjunctions just for you!
There are 5 sheets for each conjunction... and, or, so, but, and because. Those are the ones listed in our standards, so they're what I went with.

You can download them <HERE>, or by clicking the picture above. :)

Happy Freebie Friday...and thanks for your feedback should you download...

Have a GREAT weekend...or spring break for those of you kicking back and enjoying your days off. We still have two more weeks until the break. I think I can... I think I can... I think I can...



18 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this! We are just beginning conjunctions on Monday and your post was exactly what I needed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the freebie! I love the glue bottles! We talked about using that book for health/nutrition but never thought to use it with conjunctions! Thanks for the great inspiration!

    ThePolishedTeacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is fabulous!!! love this idea!
    I'm having a soccer spelling game giveaway on my blog using these words! head over to grab your copy
    Sally xx
    www.misspeachsclass.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love this conjunction idea! It is a great visual for our kiddos! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I love the concrete visual connection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! Thanks for sharing!
    I am having a “Spring Break Bucket List” linky party...stop by and link up!

    Brigid
    Brigid's Daily Lesson Log

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kelly,
    Such a great way to teach using conjunctions!! Thanks for the freebie! I can't wait to use them.
    Crystal
    Ms. Jones’ Junction

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the original glue bottles that you saw on Pinterest....although I did not make them. I don't remember where I got them- sorry. Although, they do work great! My kids use the poster I made for them all the time.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this! We are working on compound sentences so this packet is perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this activity. Did you give them stems for the sentences that used the other conjunctions?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for such a neat lesson! My students were engaged the entire time:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am teaching conjunctions this week!! So glad I saw your idea!! Will definately be using it. My students will love this book and the conjunction connection!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to to thank you for this wonderful read!!
    I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have got you
    book-marked to check out new things you post…

    Look at my blog; Cheap Nike Air Max

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cheap Celine Handbags Outlet
    I could not resist commenting. Very well written!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like what you guys tend to be up too. This type
    of clever work and coverage! Keep up the excellent works guys I've included
    you guys to my personal blogroll.

    Here is my web page - http://bestwoocommercethemes.blogspot.com/2014/04/when-i-decided-i-was-willing-to-open-e.html

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)