Wednesday, February 20, 2013

What Do YOUR Lesson Plans Look Like?


Hi Folks!!
   I have been MIA. It;s true. I've neglected my blogging duties. But, I have gotten so much done around the house. I've redone the master bathroom (thanks to amazing parents & a wonderful boyfriend), and I've managed to clean out and organize SOME of the things on my To-Do list.    How is it that the more you clean, the more gets added to your list of things to do?!   I would love someone to lock me in my house for like 2 weeks so I could get it just the way I like it ! :)

   Anyway, we are off this whole week - YAY!!! - which has been great. Next year, we are back to a more traditional calendar, so no more week long breaks throughout the school year. I'm very sad about this, I have to tell you. I promise I'm a better teacher when you give me breaks! :) 

   I have been spending my time with the aforementioned home improvement, but I also made myself sit down and work on lesson  plans....and RTI data charts....and paperwork....and paperwork...and, oh, did I mention paperwork??

Wouldn't it be nice to just teach?? :) Sorry, just a little vent there. Could be the pain from the paper cuts, or my eyes blurring from data points, but sometimes it just feels good to get that out there. 

I admit, I really enjoy making lesson plans. There's something exciting about having a plan that (in my mind) will go seamlessly and make my kids really get it. Of course, then there's the reality of what really happens in a school day, but either way, I like lesson plans.

But, I got to thinking - what do YOUR lesson plans look like??  I have seen all kinds out there - some really short...some really long, and I am just curious what your school or district requires from you.

We have to follow the E.A.T.S format from Learning Focused Schools..
E - Essential Questions
A - Activator
T - Teaching Strategy
S - Summarizer

Some schools around me require their teachers to write upwards of NINE PAGES per week. Wow!!  I just can't imagine. 

I'm thankful that my administration gives us some leeway when it comes to our own plans. I mean, lesson plans are for US right??  I don't need 9 pages to remind me what to do! haha :)  As long as they are thorough, include the proper format and the standards, we're good to go!

So, here are my plans for the upcoming week..not the most exciting content, but you'll get the idea..


 

In my reading plans, I make mention of the Follow the Yellow Brick Road strategy of summarizing/retelling a story. I got this from The First Grade Parade & can 't wait to use it with my firsties.  Here is her anchor chart. L.O.V.E!
Click on the link for more information about it & some freebies. I absolutely love this blog & all her great ideas :)

The bottom part of my plans are for Guided Reading... I just left off the heading. Whoops! 

Anyway, I have no clue how to make a linky party, but I would love to see what y'all do with your plans. 
 If you have a post about yours or make one, please leave your link in the comments so everyone can see.

And, if you have any tips on the whole linky party thing, please share! :)

Hope you have a great (rest of the) week! I am working on a Problem of the Day pack for March, and can't wait to share with you. I'll post (hopefully) tomorrow, and the first five people to comment will get it for FREE :)



11 comments:

  1. I'm always interested to see how other teachers write out their plans. Thanks for posting yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your plans and the retelling idea. I'm also always interested in how other people write their plans and schedule their day. Also, I've done a few linky parties and have found inlinkz.com very easy to use. Thanks again for sharing!
    --Chrissy
    Firstgradefoundme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Those plans are intense - go you. I love the retelling ideas and that chart is fantastic :) Thanks so much for sharing .

    Catherine
    brownbagteacher@gmail.com
    The Brown-Bag Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. My school will be having a new format for plans next year... not sure what. Your plans look awesome!
    Marcy
    marcy_sundling@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. I love checking out other teacher's plans.

    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great minds think alike! I just made the same yellow brick road retelling chart. SOOOO easy to use and my kiddos caught on really well! Good luck!

    Last year, we only had to have weekly team plans. This year was the first we had to individualize our plans. I made the template I use and it has worked great for me this year.

    Here is the link to my 2 posts about ways I plan: http://fortheloveoffirst.blogspot.com/search/label/planning

    Lindsay
    For the Love of First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. just found your blog and I'm glad I did! I am your newest follower :)

    Rae
    Mindful Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my sweet dear, your plans are fantastic!
    At the start of the year, I uploaded an overview of my plans to TPT under freebies... Since then, I have changed the template twice due to major school time changes, RTI intervention times, etc.
    I would love to link up as soon as I grab another free moment and share what I am currently using! Meshing together alittle of Erica B.'s style with my landscape style!
    Great post!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!!! I am a first grade teacher in Alabama. We're in the beginning stages of Learning Focused implementation. I am on the lesson plan team where we plan to create a new school-wide template. I stumbled across yours and love it! I would love to present it to the team as an example. Would you please send me one to show? Mrswhitneymoore@yahoo.com
    I thank you in advance!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey!
    I am a first year teacher, still trying to find what I works best for me! Could you send me your template? I love it!
    christys124@att.net- thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could you send me the template?

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)