Thursday, February 28, 2013

Snowball Fight!!!! And a FREEBIE! :)

Hang in there, friends... it's ALMOST Friday!!

Tomorrow is Dr. Seuss Day...or DEAR Day...and PJ Day at my school & let me tell you, the kids are pumped!  They are allowed to wear their PJ's, bring a pillow, blanket/towel, and a stuffed animal for our celebration. We have lots of actual work to be done, but it's also such a fun day to just curl up and read some of our favorite books.

Look what I found on Pinterest...
 Isn't this a great idea??  I think my kiddos will love trying it out tomorrow...  For the original source, just click the picture :)

I do love me some Dr. Seuss Day. :)

Anyhoo.... (get it? Whoo?  Whoville?)  Okay, anyway..
Today, we had the best time working on word problems. If you've been reading my blog, you know that we have been working on these forever  for a while.

Well, I found this AWESOME anchor chart to help my firsties learn the proper steps to solving a word problem...
This comes from Working 4 the Classroom...she has AMAZING anchor charts, folks!!!  (click the picture to check out this one & more!)

We used this today & I created my own version to put up on our Promethean Board & share with the kids.
The kids CIRCLE the numbers..UNDERLINE the whole questions...BOX the key words ("in all", "how many more", "are left", etc...), EVALUATE (or think with our math brains), and SOLVE the problem.

Works like a charm. I'm a wee bit in L.O.V.E. with this!

We  practiced a gazillion a few times until we really had our strategies "down pat".  Then, we had a SNOWBALL FIGHT!!!

Yep, you read right... we had a snowball fight.

Now, here in GA, we don't get much snow...truth be told, we don't get any snow. It's been quite a while since we've seen as much as a flake..... so, when my kids heard we were having a snowball fight, they were very curious...and very excited!

Each kiddo got their own sheet of white paper. They had to create a word problem...just the problem..and record it on their paper. Then, we balled them up like SNOWBALLS!
On the count of 1...2....3, the kids got to throw the snowballs for 3 minutes. Not long, I know, but they had a BLAST!

Just wish you could have seen their faces.  Priceless, I tell you.

After the "fight", the kids each had their own "snowball".  They had to open it up, go to their desk, and solve it using our new strategies.

It was so much fun! I'll admit.. I let them continue their snowball fight for a few more minutes after we were done. It was hilarious to watch them..especially since so  many of them haven't really gotten to play in the snow or have a real snowball fight.  Plus, it made a great way to clean up the classroom.. Believe me, peeps, there was NO trash on the floor at the end of the day.

So, I decided we HAD to do this again!  I made up this little pack of snowball word problems. Tomorrow, they'll each get one word problem( so I have a LITTLE control over the problems they solve....AND I can actually read all the writing!! haha).

Since y'all are so awesome, I am sharing this with you, too!
I went the lazy route, and only made a preview of 4 problems and a blank, but the pack actually includes 20 problems (that's how many kiddies I have) & a blank one if you want to make your own, too...or extras for more problems.

Tomorrow, as we rock out in our PJ's...

I'll pass them out...

We'll crumple 'em up...

and have another SNOWBALL FIGHT!!!!!!!!!

Click on the picture to grab it for FREE!  You can also click on the picture of the "CUBES" strategies if you want a copy of that, too. 

I'm heading out of town this week... going to spend some time with MB & head to a bridal this is the closest I could get to my Freebie Friday.

I hope you all like it! Please leave comments if you think you can use this in your room, or if you have some more ideas for this.

If you are working on word problems & need a daily fix for that extra problem solving practice, my March Problem of the Day pack is at my TpT store right now :)

Have a great weekend, friends...and Happy Dr. Seuss Day!  :)


  1. Love the chairs upside to lean against! So simple, right?! Must try next week! Craziest thing? I live in Florida and we had a snowball fight on Monday! We were gearing up for our big writing test! Different prompts were written on the paper and after throwing (I only did it for 30 seconds-you're brave!) their snowballs they had to open them up and draw the correct graphic organizer to match their prompt. Funny thing both of our classes will remember this snowball fight!!!
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

  2. We are your newest follower! Love the snowball math idea!

  3. Kelly, you have reminded me how much fun the good ol' snowball fights can be! Thanks for the freebies! I intend to use them next week! The kids LOVED your Dr. Seuss word sort yesterday!!! And I did get my weekly plans finished and posted so I hope you can steal a minute to take a peek and let me know what you think. Not as fancy as yours of course but they will do for now! Have a great weekend!
    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe


I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)