Sunday, January 20, 2013

"Owl" About Punctuation Flash Freebie

Well, it's a sad day here in the peach state as our Falcons just lost their chance at the Super Bowl. :( What a game, though & a great season, nonetheless.  For those of you 49er fans - congrats to you!!

So, while watching football, I decided I HAD to grade papers. Do you hate that as much as I do??  I remember, as a kid,I loved it. I always volunteered to help my teachers grade (when we used to be able to do that) and thought it was the most fun. Now??  I think I'd rather be hit in the face with a shovel than grade papers. My stack was so high, I thought "I'm never going to get this done", but 4 quarters later, I only have one more set left.  Yippee! 

Now, to record the grades in my gradebook, and collate the papers to go home. Will the fun EVER end??  If any of you have a tip to share about how to ease the pain of this process, PLEASE, I'm begging you, share with me!

Anyway, while grading, I learned that, despite my most valiant efforts, my kiddies just don't get punctuation. I graded our District Assessments (we give these for each unit, and they are uniform across the county) & my kids did great . . . except with punctuation and capitalization.  Ugh. 

I have to come up with a way to make this stick.

It happens every year.  But, every time, I'm like "how can I make this work?"  There's got to be a way!

I know, I know . . . even kids in middle school still struggle with this, but it's just so frustrating when we do it ALL THE TIME!

So, I have been working on this punctuation center, and am definitely going to put it into the rotation this week. I thought I'd share with you.  Until tomorrow night . . . Monday night.. MLK's FREE, so hop over there and pick it up if you need some extra punctuation help like me! :) Just click <HERE>! After that, it's just $2.00!!!

Hope you enjoy it ! And, if you have ANY tips of punctuation/capitalization , let 'em fly! I need all the help I can get :)

Have a great day off tomorrow !


  1. Oh my goodness! I cannot pass up anything owl! Even though my kinders are really only in the period phase, I do have a couple that like to venture outside the box. This would be a great whole group, get them thinking, kind of activity.

    Thank you for sharing!
    It's "OWL" Good in Kindergarten

  2. Thanks so much for the wonderful flash freebie! I'm sure it will come in handy!

    I still think grading is fun when I get the chance to help out but I haven't been stuck with grading for hours like you have to. I'm sure when that comes around I will dread it as well!


  3. Thanks so much for the freebie, Kelly! My mentor teacher and I were just discussing how the ability to properly punctuate sentences has vanished from our students's repertoire. Before Christmas, we could write 5-star sentences. Now, we write entire personal narratives without taking a breath! :( Good luck to us all!

    The Brown-Bag Teacher


I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)