Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Mitten Measurement & a FREEBIE

Rain, Rain, Go Away....

  I shouldn't be so anti-rain. I know we need it, but wow, it makes it hard to get up in the morning AND the kiddos REALLY need to get outside. Recess in the rain??  Let me know tell how how much I'm considering it right now.

   Anyway, I'm sure a lot of you use The Mitten by Jan Brett in your winter unit. I have been reading that book for years and the kids always love it. It's a great book and even better with Reader's Theater. But, I have never thought to expand it into math. Until now... until I had to create an activity that would keep the kids interested, entertained AND engaged while it rained buckets on our playground.

So, we've been studying measurement and focusing on the use of nonstandard measurement, specifically.  Today, we took that focus and combined that with our unit on The Mitten :)

I gave each kid four mittens of different sizes, had them cut them out, and label them A, B, C, D...

Then, we used four nonstandard units to measure each mitten - counters, unifix cubes, cotton balls and.... ANIMAL CRACKERS!

OH, before I go on... the kids made mittens earlier in the day. Two sides of the same mitten shape... glued all the way around EXCEPT the bottom.

The kids decorated their mittens any way they wanted. Then, they had to ESTIMATE how many animal crackers would fit in their mitten (connection to the story..yay!).  The children wrote that number on the back of their mitten.

Then, after they measured the other mittens with all the nonstandard units, they tested their estimates with the cookies.
And ate them! :)

It was so much fun!!

If you would like to do this in the classroom, here's the sheet for you :)

This is my first time with directly linking a freebie into a post, so please let me know if it doesn't work.

Hope you enjoy & have fun with all your winter units!! I am LOVE reading all your posts.  Right now, I'm planning for next week's focus on the 100th Day. There are so many fun things to do & I've decided to make it a whole week plan. Good times!

Oh, and for you coupon and sales lovers (and for those who live near a Kroger), the animal crackers are 10 for $10. We used 4 bags for the whole class . . .  and that was extra just for snacking! 

As always, thanks for stopping by!!


  1. We're doing The Mitten this week too! My kiddos LOVE it and all the fun activities we are doing! I love the activities you are doing with your kiddos! They look super fun! :)

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

  2. It's Mitten Madness! Look at all those happy faces! LOVE your measuring idea and YES, I am borrowing this to use with my kiddos next week!
    Thanks so much for sharing Kelly!
    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

  3. We just finished The Mitten! I love all of these ideas and will definitely save them for next year (fingers crossed I'm in 1st)! Thanks for stopping by my blog, Kelly! Also, the freebie worked perfectly; awesome job :) Thanks for sharing.

    The Brown-Bag Teacher

  4. We are starting measurement this week and just finished our Mitten activities. Your ideas are adorable. I will have to put them in my idea book for next year. Thank you for sharing them.
    Bright Concepts 4 Teachers

  5. What a FUN way to practice measurement and estimation. I bet your kids loved it! BTW, your blog is absolutely adorable and I'm your newest follower :)


  6. I love your measurement ideas!! Thanks for sharing. We'll be using them soon! :)

  7. One more thing...would you mind sharing the mitten templates, too? :)

  8. Following you back! Love the mitten project you did with the kiddos! So cute! Love following other teachers!


  9. Love this activity!!! Since it's still winter here in Michigan (3-12-14 and we have another Snow Day :), we can still squeeze in this lesson. Would it be possible for you to email me the mitten templates? DonnaLKlein@gmail.com


I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)