Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Daily Schedule Linky

Has anyone ever spent the entire day thinking it was another day... like another day LATER in the week...only to realize it's only Tuesday?? I've thought it was Thursday all day, which means the rest of this week is going to poke on by! haha.

Anyway, today I'm linking up with Falling Into First for their Schedule Linky! :)
I'm always fascinated with other teacher's schedules & thought I'd link up to share & see what's out there..

At my old school, we started at 7:25 and ended at 2:15, so 7 years ago when I moved to my new district, I was THRILLED to learn the kids didn't come in until 7:45.  Now, I'm reading that some people don't even start til 9 . WOW! Talk about jealous. I am so not a morning person & that would make me so happy.

Anyway....here is my daily schedule:
7:45 - 8:30  Morning Work/Announcements
     The kids write in their journals every morning when they come in. They don't have to be there until 8, so I have to be flexible in the morning. We also complete our Good Morning Work each day...which is my FAVORITE FIND as of late.  Have you seen these?
They are daily morning work sheets from Kelley Dolling at The Teacher Idea Factory. There is one sheet for every single day in the month....AND she has one packet for math & one for reading/ELA.  I cannot tell you how much I love these activities. They are also great for that little extra time I need in the morning to catch up, clean up, RTI, test sight words, etc... They are Common Core aligned & I can't say enough about them. Go check it out at her TpT store <HERE>.

8:30- 9:30 Calendar & Math 
 We are supposed to do 90 minutes of math, so we schedule in 60 here, and the remaining 30 are done during morning work and centers.  Math is whole group on Mondays, and a combination of whole and small group throughout the week.  When we do small group, it's the same rotation and plan as my Guided Reading centers. 

9:30 - 10:00 Language Arts
This is our time for ELA skill focus - nouns, pronouns, possessives, etc... That kind of stuff.  We integrate it throughout our reading and centers time, but my team and I decided we needed a specific "isolated" time for language arts direct instruction.

10:00 - 10:45 Specials
We rotate where we go each day of the week - Mondays: Music, Tuesday: PE, Wednesday: Art, Thursdays: P.E. and Fridays: We rotate through all four of our special areas each Friday.

This is also my planning time. On Tuesdays, we have meetings, but I am SO fortunate that the rest of the week is my own planning time. We typically spend this time meeting as a team, but I love the freedom of it :)

10:45 - 11:30 Science/Social Studies (Integrated with Reading Unit)
This is our time to focus on science and social studies (we alternate between the two) & because of our tight schedule, we integrate it in with our reading.  Science and social studies have to be taught within reading so we can address all of our standards. There are just SO MANY!!!

11:35 - 12:05 Lunch
This equates to about 15 minutes to eat, but we do have "duty free" lunch, which is such a blessing!

12:05 - 12:30 Phonics and/or Read Aloud

12:30 - 12:45 Recess
We are allotted 15 minutes a day...NO MORE! So, we head outside just as quickly as we can & get some play time.  In my opinion, this time is EQUALLY as necessary as the rest of our day.  What happened to the understanding that children learn through play??  Sometimes, I wonder if some of the "powers that be" need to pick up a child development book! :)

12:45 - 2:15 Guided Reading
 I do four rotations of 20-25 minutes for each of my 4 groups.  I have tried only meeting with certain groups on certain days, but it drives me crazy. I feel better when I  meet with all my groups every single day.  I posted about my centers and how I do it <HERE>.

You can read all about it & there's also a link to how I do it in math centers, too :)

2:15 - 2:30 Read Aloud, Catch up, Clean Up, Pack Up

2:30 Pack Up & Daily Standard Review

2:40 Dismiss :)  Yay!!!

 So...what does YOUR day look like???  The linky closes TONIGHT, so head on over there, link up, and share your scheduling ideas... I'm always looking for a new one to get more stuff in my day, so let me know if you do link up.

Hope you've had a great Tuesday...and you KNOW it's Tuesday, right?! :)

Thanks for stopping by....


  1. Hi! I found you through Falling into First's linky! I am so glad I did! Your blog is all kinds of adorable! The On a quest for something and happily ever after signature are too cute! I look forward to going on a quest and reading more!

  2. I love looking at other peoples' schedules. It's so interesting to me how schools can be so different, but still have the same big goal in mind. I've just changed around my whole schedule so I can do guided math groups. We were also told last week that we should be seeing our lowest readers twice a day in small group. Today was the first day I tried all of the new changes, and I really liked it. Here's what it looks like:
    7:45-8:00- unpack / read aloud/ listen to announcements
    8:00-8:25- Number talk/whole group math lesson
    8:25-9:25- Guided math- four groups, 15 minutes each
    9:25-9:45- Read to Self- work with Tier 2 reading group
    9:45-10:45- Guided reading- four groups, 15 minutes each
    10:45-11:15- PE
    11:20-11:45- Lunch
    11:50-12:20- Recess
    12:20-12:30- Restroom break/water
    12:30-12:55- Comprehension lesson (taught through author studies)
    12:55-1:15- Whole group phonics lesson
    1:15-1:45- Writer's Workshop
    1:45-2:15- Specials (none Monday, library, music, computer lab, art)
    2:15-2:25- Pack up/ early bell rings
    2:25-2:35- Watch Bookflix, clean room…

    I do science and social studies all day on Fridays. We tie in art, language arts and math.


I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)