Thursday, January 31, 2013

Balancing Common Core & FREEBIES :)

Well, folks, it's Thursday night which, for me, means lesson planning...printing...laminating...and all that good stuff.  Our lesson plans are due to administration on Monday morning, but I like to have mine done before Friday so I can get everything prepped for the new week.

In case you didn't already know, I am NOT a morning person, so I like to roll in (screech in on two wheels) and have it all waiting for me :)

Anyway, next week, we are jumping feet first into the new common core standard of balancing equations and determining whether equations are true of false.  I think the kids will catch on to the true/false of basic equations pretty quickly, but the thought of having them balance them makes my head want to explode!!  

Have any of y'all already taught this ??  I found this awesome idea on Pinterest & can't wait to try it next week...
Susan at Thank God It's First Grade (T.G.I.F) had this amazing idea of using a balance & unifix cubes to give students a visual of how to balance numbers and equations. Love! Love! Love!

 I made some sheets to go along with our study of equations & wanted to share them with you. They're FREE!

Just click <HERE> to grab them ! The cut apart cards will be used in two ways..

First, I will pass them out, put an equation in the pocket chart & have the student with the matching problem come put it in the chart.

Then, we will pass them all out & the kiddies will have to find their equation partner...

Thanks to for the precious Valentine's monsters...have you been to this site?  Super cute FREE clip art. I'm all about the free :)

Keepin' it short tonight - time for some Grey's & finishing up the laundry. Tomorrow is a "free" jeans day, which means we get to wear jeans to school without donning a super cool sticker that says we have earned a pass for the day.  And, I have to admit, I'm super happy about it. 

You know you're a teacher when a free jeans day is almost like hitting the least at my school.

Seriously, folks.. I'm pumped !

Do you get to wear jeans? How often?

Anyway, hoping you have a great weekend & leaving you with a cute little funny :)

Thanks for stopping by!


  1. I am the same way ~ all done before I leave on Friday morning! We get to wear jeans every Friday, which is great because that means no ironing on Thursday night!

    I taught my third graders balancing equations the same way. We actually had special scales too, so it would work with multiplication. It was so neat when they actually got it! Hope it goes well! The kids will have so much fun!
    Reading Toward the Stars

  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

  3. True/false equations are such a stretch for firsties, but slowly we are getting there, too! We can wear jeans anytime, as long as we still look's nice but when your principal strolls into your classroom in blue jeans on a Wednesday morning, it can be a little odd - ha :) Happy Friday!

    The Brown-Bag Teacher

  4. Love those freebies, they are fabulous! I'm sure your kids will have a blast learning about this new standard! I loooooove jeans day, we have free jeans day every Friday and occasionally (when my principal is feeling extra perky) throughout the week. I'll have to check out that Clipart site, I love me some Clipart :) thanks for sharing!

  5. Kelly,
    Your post had me in stitches right from the words.....not a morning person, and screeching in on two wheels! We must be twins! I love it! I had no idea the equation piece of the new cc was that explicit. This balancing activity is awesome and I am printing all your companion sheets as we speak! Genius my friend!
    I also watched some Greys and am wrapping up my plans for next week as well....See! Twinkies!
    Have a fabulous Friday and thank you so much for the templates!

  6. My lessons are due on Friday morning by 8am. Sometimes it can be a pain (I'd love for it to be by the end of the day on Friday), but I'm glad I don't have to think about it over the weekend.

    We have a jeans day the first Friday of the month. And if the principal happens to be out on a Friday, it's an unofficial jeans day. :)

  7. I am NOT a morning person either! This week was awesome for helping that! We had school cancelled one day and TWO late starts! Thank you for the great freebies! I will be using those in a couple of weeks!

  8. I came across these worksheets on Pinterest, and I just wanted to say THANK YOU! I'm currently student teaching and looking for any and all supports for my lessons! This is perfect for what we are learning next week!

  9. Thanks so much for the kind help. My 6 yr is worried because she is having problems with math. This will be a big help!


I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)