Thursday, January 17, 2013

100 Days Smarter...and a FREEBIE!

Is it really possible that the 100th day of school is just right around the corner??  Ours is next Thursday, the 24th, and it seems hard to believe.

Well, I say that, but it's been raining non-stop for 4 full days, which means no recess...which means crazy kiddos...which means I may or may not have a slight case of the grumps.  I know these babies just need to get outside and play but WOW, have they been wide open this week.  So, to tell the truth, it DOES feel like the 100th day of school should be here...or maybe the 180th??  If it wasn't so cold, I'd swear it was the end of the year! Right now, we're under a Winter Storm Watch here in GA, but I have yet to see one little white flake. :(

Anyway, the past few years, this day has come & gone with a few fun activities, but this year, I decided to make a week out of it and plan the 100th day to be full of fun stuff to do.

I've been doing a lot of research (or, more specifically, I've been spending countless hours on Pinterest) trying to come up with some stuff, and I thought I'd share the best things out there with YOU! :)

Teachers are so creative & I just love reading and seeing what everyone comes up with!  Here are some of my favorites. Click the pictures to take you to the post.

Joyful Learning in KC had this great idea of having the kids build something using 100 cups. How much fun! My kids will go crazy over this!


Cindy @ For the Love of Kindergarten did this last year & I love the way it turned out.  Also, loved how it makes kids group into tens to make 100.

Another great way to group tens into 100 from Miss Stec's Kindergarten Kollections & what kid isn't thrilled about some goodies?!

Cuteness!!!  This comes from Little Miss Glamour Goes to Kindergarten. :)

She also made these. I'm in LOVE with how precious these are !
I really hope I can fit these into this year's activities :)

Miss Renee' made this for the doorway to her class. What a cool way to start the day !

Kinder Kim's nephew made these for the 100th day & I think they are awesome. So much better than the plain ole' 100 hats I've been making...

Buzzing About Second Grade made these super cute creations with the number 100 using die-cuts. How creative!!!


And lastly, everyone loves a good snack (even if Weight Watchers is keeping me from the ones I really love...arrghhh!).  The Pixie Chicks have come up with this great idea & letter to send home for the supplies. Plus, there's many more fabulous ideas on their site.
I sent home my version of this letter to the kids today & they are already excited :)

So, for those of you that don't Pin (what??!?!), I wanted to share all these great ideas that are out there.  I've been making my plans for next week, and can't wait to include these in there. 

On the 100th day, I'm doing a full day (almost) of centers. 10 centers, plus a snack time, that the kids will rotate freely through. They can do them at their own pace & in whatever order they choose, but they have to do all of them. I hope it will be a big hit. After all these days inside, I think the deserve a fun day.

Here's my center check list if you would like it :)
The "Find all 100 numbers and color to match activity" is one my team & I have been doing for years. You make 100 circles and write the numbers 1-100 on them.  Then, you "hide" them throughout the classroom. The kids have to find each number and color in a hundreds chart (or gumball machine, etc...) to match the colors of numbers they have found in the room. It's time consuming, but fun. AND, it helps me identify the kids who are still struggling with those higher numbers.

Also, we'll be making the 100 Things Book (something I've done for years & the kids really enjoy) & if you want a copy of that, here you go! Nothing too fancy, but a good go-to for an easy activity.
So, that's about it for me tonight. I am super excited about the 100th day, and I can't wait to see all the cool stuff you come up with.

I have no clue how to make a "linky", but if you are posting some of your ideas, please leave your link in the comments for us all to see :)

Happy Friday (almost!).  OH!  I forgot - those of you that asked about my Weight Watchers stuff. I weighed in for the first time tonight and lost FOUR LBS! Woo hoo!  I would love to celebrate with a brownie or something, but that's how I got here, so looks like an apple for me :)



5 comments:

  1. 4 pounds?! That's awesome; congratulations :)

    For 100th Day, we'll be making our way through my free 100th Day Primary Pack. http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/100th-Day-of-School-Mini-Unit-Math-Literacy-Activities I'm most excited about the 100th Day Challenge! We'll do lots of centers plus 100 minutes of reading :) Should be loads of fun and a great way to celebrate some awesome learning. Thanks for all of the neat ideas!

    Catherine
    The Brown-Bag Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow so many activities! Your students will have loads of fun. Also thanks so much for the freebie! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love your 100th Day Checklist! I will have to create one for my third graders! We are doing a mystery theme all day, they are coming dressed as detectives!
    Love your very cute blog!

    Carmen
    exploringthirdgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the ideas. We think alike on some of these. I'm excited about the 100th day. It's the most fun "party" day for me.

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)