Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Awesome Adjectives!

Oh my gosh this year is flying by! Progress  reports go home next week, and we only have 5 more school weeks of this semester...and until Christmas. YIKES!  I don't know about you, but every year, there is a defining moment where I realize how fast the time is slipping . .. and just how much there is to do!

So, we have been working on all kinds of parts of speech, and right now, we're focusing on adjectives. I LOVE teaching adjectives because it's something the kids can really get into.  Plus, it's just a lot of fun. I wanted to share some activities we've done lately because the kids have had a blast!

Do you ever wonder what your kiddos really think of you??  Well, first graders are pretty honest all the time, so I don't have to wonder TOO much, but this was just a cute activity that turned out successful and hilarious.

The kids started by drawing a portrait of ME! Then, they had to take strips of paper & write at least 5 adjectives to describe me. So funny!





 I love how skinny I am in the pictures. Think I could use one of these for the yearbook?? Haha ! The kids had so much fun & it was such a great reinforcement for adjectives. (Plus, I got a good laugh out of it). My colleagues have done this, too & they're a hit in the hallway.

So, after that, I had the kids web adjectives about themselves.  Instead of drawing a picture, I cut a hole out of the middle of the paper & they got to hold them up with their word web around them. I took their pictures and we sent them home.



They thought this was too fun - an interactive word web!!!

Today, we talked about our five senses and how to expand our use of adjectives in our writing. We focused on making a description of something more exciting by using adjectives . . . or words that described the way something looked, smelled, sounded, felt and tasted. 

So... we popped popcorn! Yummo!!
Then, the kids made popcorn adjectives. They TRIED to list an adjective for each of the five senses about the popcorn. How did it taste? smell ?  sound? etc.... 






I think they turned out so cute ! I got the kernel clip art from this site HERE! Just made a pattern for the box & cut strips of white paper, attached a label and VOILA! :)

Tomorrow, we are making "Indian" hats with adjectives, too. My teammate did these today & you know how much firsties love their hats. Super excited to see how these turn out!

 So, that's our adjectives!  I hope you can use some of these ideas in your room, too :)

Also, I posted last week about my new product on TpT - Thanksgiving Cut Apart Sentences. I thought I'd show your some pics of this center in use:




You can grab them for just $2.00 at TpT HERE!


As always, thanks for stopping by & hope all is well with you!! :)

2 comments:

  1. I really like your sentence sort! Your adjectives are adorable, too! "Loveful" cracks me up!
    Jeny
    Owl Things First!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Loveful" caught my eye, too. SOOO cute!!! Great post and I'm so happy to be your newest follower!
    Growing Firsties is having a Pete the Cat giveaway that benefits Hurricane Sandy Relief!

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)