Sunday, October 21, 2012

October LOVE, Cool Pumpkins & a FREEBIE!

Dear Weekend,
    You simply go by way too fast. I really thought we had something, and yet, you leave me time and time again.  *sigh* :(

I can't believe how quickly weekends go by - and I swear they go by faster when the weather is as beautiful as it's been, and there's fun to be had.  And even more so when you know that you STILL have lesson plans, laundry and papers to grade!  I really think we should even out weeks with 4 days working and 3 days off . . .  ahh...how nice that would be?!

Anyway, I did have fantastic weekend & have to tell you about the coolest thing that happened...  So, since there's so little time to get away these days, MB and I decided to take a DAYcation to the north GA mountains yesterday.  We went to some festivals, a pumpkin patch, a corn maze (it was a 2 hour wait so we just kept on truckin') and finally up to Amicalola Falls.  

We get to the top of the falls & this guy asks me to take a picture of him & his girlfriend.  Sure! No problem!

 Then, I go to hand the camera back to him and he says, "Do you mind taking just one more??  I have a very special question to ask this girl". WHAT?!?!

 So, there I stand at the top of the falls snapping away as fast as my fingers would go as this guy drops to a knee & asks his girlfriend to marry him!!! It was BEAUTIFUL!!  But, I was so nervous and trying to get all the right shots - i.e.  man on knee...man with ring box...putting ring on finger....the 'yes' moment (thankfully!) . . . the hug...and the kiss :)  So wonderful ! Everyone broke out in applause & it was such a beautiful moment.

This was the view right before the proposal. I was so happy for the sweet couple, but I really hope those pictures turned out good :) Ahhh, October LOVE !

    Anyway, I promised y'all I would post my pumpkins from our Fall Festival. I finally decided on Angry Birds, and I thought they turned out pretty cute!
 


Here are some others from teachers in my school.  We had  a Dr. Seuss theme for our festival, so a lot of people chose to do pumpkins related to our theme.



And I dug up some pictures from the celebrity pumpkin decorating contest we had at a staff meeting a couple years ago and just had to share the cuteness!
 Dolly !
 Elvis !
 Lucille Ball
 Nicole Richie (back in the day...when she was preggers)
Tina Turner


Lastly, I posted about my writing unit the other day and realized just how short of a time it is between now and Halloween. WOW!  Only 8 more teaching days.  So, I have a FREEBIE for everyone from my unit. We've been working on Standard 1L.5 with Shades of Meaning (Distinguish shades of meaning among verbs differing in manner (e.g., look, peek, glance, stare, glare, scowl) and adjectives differing in intensity (e.g., large, gigantic) by defining or choosing them or by acting out the meanings).

So, I made these cards with different "shades" of meaning. We put them on a giant candy corn (smallest "meaning" at the top..."strongest" meaning at the bottom). Then, the kids do it in a center. They love it! 

You can get the cards for FREE <HERE>.  You can also pick up the whole unit <HERE>.

Hope you all have a great week :)

5 comments:

  1. How much pressure was it to be the photographer?! Cute pumpkins! The Horton pumpkin is serious competition.
    Good luck!

    EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great story. you were totally in the right place at the right time:) Love the pumpkins, I think Dolly is my favorite. And your unit looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The angry bird pumpkins turned out great!!! Oh, I'm having a 50 follower giveaway!! Head over to check it out and spread the word for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found you from your comment on Mrs. Thigpen's! So happy I did, your blog is awesome!

    Your newest follower,
    Irene
    Learning With Mrs. Leeby

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E reading your comments, so thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a little note :)